Author Topic: Re: Client  (Read 2376 times)

Offline charlton81

• View Profile
Re: Client
« on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:11 am »
Would it be possible to create a completely web-based client for tRAID, one that doesn't require any installations. I guess something similar to freeNAS.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 11:28:44 am »
The FreeNAS UI is backed by backend routines (likely php or python or a mix).

The NZFS Broker service uses JSON over TCP socket for communication.
Replicating the Web UI purely in JavaScript (without backend services) will be tough, but it can be done using node.js.

An alternative would be to leverage the current Web UI services, which it exposes through JSON-RPC just like it was also done for RAID-F.

Do not underestimate the amount of work that goes into the UI and its management features. Expect it to be a serious undertaking.

Offline charlton81

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:51:46 pm »
Oh I definitely do not underestimate the amount of work that goes into the UI (I do a bit of web programming so I have an idea). Also I am quite pleased with the what you guys have offered.  I suspected it would be difficult especially if it wasn't designed initially to operate that way and I'm sure there are advantages to the way it is done.
But I was hoping to control/maintain the array remotely from any computer.

Perhaps the client configuration could be stored with the host and sent to the client upon connecting. Maybe that could be a middle ground enabling one to use clients on multiple computers.

Also, how will the licensing work--is it tied to the number of hosts or to the client?

Thanks for the response.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »
Licensing is tied to the host.

The current Web UI can be accessed by any web enabled device or computer for remote management. That the whole point of the web based approach.
You only need a single Web UI install to manage any number of hosts.

The Web UI service maintains all configurations for all hosts for richness and centralization. This keeps the host lean, mean, and rock stable.

Offline charlton81

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:45:02 pm »
I understand that. What I was describing was being able to access the hosts from different clients on different machines (say you leave town but would like to login to your server) instead of one central client.

I think as it is right now its discouraged to have more than one configured client.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 05:54:14 am »
I think as it is right now its discouraged to have more than one configured client.
Well, yeah. It is discouraged to have more than one Web UI service simply because:
1. having more than one is just not needed (again, one service install will manage an unlimited number of hosts)
2. you lose centralization if you have multiple Web UI services running each with separate configurations

I understand that. What I was describing was being able to access the hosts from different clients on different machines (say you leave town but would like to login to your server) instead of one central client.
How is login into each specific host better than login into a central management service that give you access to all hosts?  ???
I think you are still not getting that you can access the single Web UI service from any browser from any computer or web enabled device from anywhere in the world and then manage any host with it.

Offline charlton81

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 08:07:53 am »
ah sorry, a misunderstanding :-[
I guess I missed that the service is the separate application and you remote login to that through the webUI.

All is answered, thank you for your patience. Apologies.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:44:55 am »
:)
Yeah, these things can get confusing.

A real cool setup would be for someone to install the Web UI service in the cloud, and then manage multiple hosts from across the web with it. :)
I will release a Linux version of the Web UI service before we go final.