Author Topic: Offsite Backup into Cloud (e.g Amazon S3)  (Read 1859 times)

Offline snakyjake

• View Profile
Offsite Backup into Cloud (e.g Amazon S3)
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:33:32 pm »
Backup folder/files to cloud (Amazon S3) for offsite backup and disaster recovery.

RAID doesn't do me any good if my enclosure is stolen or damaged.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Re: Offsite Backup into Cloud (e.g Amazon S3)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:28:10 am »
Anybody really concerned about data safety should indeed have a backup in several location.
Amazon S3 is one option and Amazon Glacier is even more appropriate for end-users as it has a lower cost, not depending on the volume.

However, the recovery time is huuuuuuuuuge with such solutions. I use to have a backup in the Asus WebStorage but is was so sloooooooow that I have never been able to restore anything.

Reason why tRaid is so great IMO, with a RTO of ZERO thanks to its "live reconstruction" feature.
Something that the cloud can't offer at affordable price if not at any price.

A solid solution IMO is one tRAID at home and one at one relative's place + BitTorrent sync or any other sync tool  ;)
A "request for feature" would be a sync feature between two or more FlexRAID servers  8)

Backup folder/files to cloud can usually be done using backup provider's proprietary tools, isn't ?

V.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:31:52 pm by vletroye »

Offline monkeysez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:04:23 pm »
Traid + crashplan works for me. With caveats...I manually need to start crashplan, it won't run properly as a service and no backup for files in use as volume shadow copy not supported.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 12:06:08 pm by monkeysez »

Offline SirMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:41:54 pm »
Yeah, Amazon Glacier is really not that affordable.  I have 12TB of data and to store that with Glacier would cost $0.01 per GB per month, so $120 per month.

CrashPlan on the other hand is $4 per month for unlimited storage space, and there is no delay for restoring files with CrashPlan.  You can even restore them from a web browser or your smartphone instantly through the CrashPlan mobile app.

Plus CrashPlan handles versioning and data deduplication automatically.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:10:23 pm »
Right.. I only meant that the price/GB with Glacier does not vary depending on the total volume.
But still, it's too expensive.

On my own, I have a personal account (not professional) at Servage.net (4$ / month) with Unlimited Storage (but also unlimited everything: ftp, email, website, domains, bandwidth, DB, etc...).
Using an ftp account at Servage and SyncBackSE (35$ / 5 computers for a pro version), I could backup TB with encryption/compression on the fly and keep the storage under my own control. SyncBackSE has a free version but with no support for Windows Server, no encryption, etc...

About Servage, ok, some of my FTP accounts and websites have been hacked in the past, and my main email domain has been blacklisted once or two because Servage.net had security holes. But there are really cheap and I always had backup to recover quickly. They also offer WebDrive (which could be combined with the free CobianBackup), but I found this one to be "unstable" on Win x64. Next, if I am happy with their services (I have many domains hosted there, with many CNAME records defined to redirect subdomains on my current IP - through DDNS, mailing lists, etc...), I would not recommend to use Servage, due to bad reviews one can find about them on the web...  :-\

About backuping on Servage, I said I could do it, but I don't because it's too slow... ~2 days for ~30GB (28000 files issued from my user profiles - don't ask how I can have so many... 50% is used for game saves... 30% are in the "download" folders  :-[ ). How could I be patient enough to do an initial backup of 13 TB and backup on a regular basis my VM (I use preallocated drives) or any new HD movies (usually ~8GB or much more...) ?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:17:34 pm by vletroye »

Offline MasterCATZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 02:27:35 pm »
I use glusterfs