Author Topic: Pool setup... now what?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline verti89

• View Profile
Pool setup... now what?
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:09:47 am »
I am using Ubuntu as the OS on my media server. I have the storage pool setup and working. Now I am trying to actually move some files from my main PC (windows 7) over to the media server pool and am not really sure what to do. I can see the windows files fine on the Ubuntu machine, but I get an error (at work and cant remember specific error), but I am pretty sure google can help me with this one. The bigger issues are that I can't seem to create a shared folder on the pool, and I can't seem to find the ubuntu machine on my network at all while on my main PC. I know I am a noob, and I am not sure that this is even the right place for either of these issues, but hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

Offline mdmangus

• View Profile
Re: Pool setup... now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:02 pm »
Verti89,

I was wondering myself, but with digging I got things going.  The windows has much more information on setting up vs the Linux side.  I like what I see and myself plan to dump WIndows 2008 R2 and stick with Ubuntu after I test further.

For me when pool started it created the following Map Point
/root/FlexRAID_POOL

For some reason it was owned by Root only.  I had change change its ownership and permissions so I could get access.

Another article I found on granting access to others was on the wiki:
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/06/01/linux-granting-storage-pool-access-to-root-and-other-users/

You need to setup Samba to share your POOL over the network.

I am using Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 and didn't feel like configuring the samba config directly and went the GUI route from this online post:
http://www.unixmen.com/howto-install-and-configure-samba-share-in-ubuntu/

With that I am able to log-in from my Windows 8 and Mac's to the Shares I created pointed to the folder's on the pool.

With 2TB and 3TB WD green drives formatted as ext4 I am writing 3GB files 109/MBs over my gigibit home network.

Everything appears to be working as expected.

Now to just continue testing a bit more, but so far looking good after a few days of reading and putting the pieces together. lol

I attached screen shots. 

Hopefully this helps some.

Offline mdmangus

• View Profile
Re: Pool setup... now what?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 10:29:00 pm »
Had someone email stating they had similar issues.

So just adding a little more detail that it seems I might have left out:

I didn't have this in my original reply to author, but I did do the following for permissions on the pool by changing Group from root to staff.  Again, my pool is mounted -> /root/FlexRAID_POOL

I chose staff for group, because my macs for users have staff as default group.  Don't remember if I created staff for Linux or if that group already exists...  You can use whatever group name you want.

Article on making sure your path has the correct permissions
http://askubuntu.com/questions/25396/setting-up-a-shared-media-drive
From that article I used the following:
Code: [Select]
sudo chown root.staff /root/FlexRAID_POOL
sudo chmod 0775 /root/FlexRAID_POOL
sudo chmod g+s  /root/FlexRAID_POOL
sudo chmod +t   /root/FlexRAID_POOL
sudo setfacl -d -m u::rwx,g::rwx,o::r-x /root/FlexRAID_POOL

Above...

Change owner to root and group owner to staff
Give write ability to the staff group
Cause all new files to be group-owned by staff
Restrict delete and rename to all but the user who created the file
By default, allow user and group rwx, others: rx.

You also need to make sure you created users on the Linux server (In my case I created mdmangus, lmmangus, mediauser that have group staff)
On my macs the usernames are the same mdmangus and lmmangus.
On my pc's the usernames are the same.
Setup Samba, which that post has screen shots but you create your shares against the pool.  Create your samba users with their permissions in samba to read/write.
I did create additional samba share for media and assigned MediaUser to this share.  My WDTVLive and other media devices use this user and password to login into the samba share.

When you create files from any of these users it is going to show on the pool as created by that user and group being staff (or whatever group name you chose).
So for me inside pool and files I dropped show user -> mdmangus and group -> staff

This is how it works for me and their might be better way of doing it, but this worked for me after lots of trial and error.

Good luck and hope this helps a little more for others.