Author Topic: Some feedback on the new FlexRAID 2.0  (Read 4725 times)

Offline xliv

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Some feedback on the new FlexRAID 2.0
« on: November 29, 2011, 02:01:56 am »
I'm gathering here some feedback on the new FlexRAID 2.0, because I think that these items do not really diserve an item in Mantis, as they are cosmetic - but if it's easier to handle please say so and I'll create them.
- the auto-mount delay in the Storage Pool configuration no more precises the value (s or ms)
- when adding a share in the Network Shares config, by default the names contain a \ which needs to be removed (sharing Z:\Videos will add \Videos to the name field)
- at first beta install, it installed a driver (and asked me for permission). It did not install it again later, I assume the uninstaller does not remove it
- while it's safer to remove the drives when adding them to a Cruise Control, there are things that cannot be done anymore, such as: chkdsk, checking where the files are stored, simulating a drive failure to test the restore, etc. Would there be a way to allow access to the managed drives folder when the pool is not running?
Server HW: ASUS P8B-E/4L + PIKE 2008 SAS | Xeon E3-1230 | 8GB DDR3 ECC 1333 [Kingston - KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G] | Intel 320 - 80 Go (OS)
Server OS: Win7 64b EN
FlexRAID 2.0 latest build, Cruise Control, 7 DRUs (6x3TB,1x2TB), 1 PPU (2x2TB)

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Re: Some feedback on the new FlexRAID 2.0
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 02:34:56 am »
I think everything deserves an item in Mantis.
Mantis allows to classify cases open. So give cosmetic details lower priority.

If you ask me, cosmetic fine-tuning is what brings USERS.
Nobody cares for weird semi-hidden functions behind obscure controls.

1) I agree.
2) Right.
3) No it installs it when needed.
4) There is a way.

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:29:05 am »
@xliv

1. Ok, will fix that. As NLS stated though, everything should go into Mantis.
2. Fixed.
3. Non-issue. I most check if it needs to update and do so as required.
4. You can run chkdsk on the drive, but I think adding an interface into the UI for these various things will help.
There are also ways to simulate a drive failure by going through your OS Disk Manager and dismounting the drive (remove all drive letter and folder mounts).
Finally, the FlexRAID UI let's you browse the content of each individual drive.

Offline xliv

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 10:24:44 am »
NLS, Brahim, thanks.
1. I created the mantis issue report - http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=141
2. ok no mantis then
3. ok. I was thinking I guess about the guys who would uninstall for good. But I guess those don't exist ;)
4. ok I did not know chkdsk would allow to do that, I'll try. Added a mantis feature request for the UI: http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=142, yes would be nice ;)

And if dismounting the drive is enough, how to roll back correctly - should I remount it to the same folder so that FlexRAID rediscovers it?
Server HW: ASUS P8B-E/4L + PIKE 2008 SAS | Xeon E3-1230 | 8GB DDR3 ECC 1333 [Kingston - KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G] | Intel 320 - 80 Go (OS)

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:49:11 am »
Yes.
(actually no, for the purpose of actually TESTING something - as Brahim correctly pointed out)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:27:28 am by NLS »
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 12:46:57 pm »

And if dismounting the drive is enough, how to roll back correctly - should I remount it to the same folder so that FlexRAID rediscovers it?

No.
You should reinstate the disk into the pool.

For instance, if you unmount a drive from the managed pool to a drive letter, you can reinstate it into the pool by:
FlexRAID UI -> Disk Manager -> Restore -> Swap only (no restore)  or Swap and Restore (or whatever makes sense for your test).

Offline xliv

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 05:08:51 am »
OK, I'm testing this (1TB restore) on Beta 7.
I unmounted the disk, and am restoring on an external path just to make a diff of what has been restored. Will report feedback

Offline xbmcg

• View Profile
Storage Pool Merge Cobfig - Restart Error
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 08:21:28 am »
When restarting, it takes a while and then a error message is showing up:

com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.StatusCodeException

I hope that helps..

(btw, the service is then down, but I can start it manually, and it works then again)

(and is there a option to disable the captcha thing for registered users???)