Author Topic: Permissions: Have to Click "RETRY" to overwrite file  (Read 5785 times)

Offline mpm131

• View Profile
Re: Permissions: Have to Click "RETRY" to overwrite file
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 10:07:10 am »
Brahim

I made the changes as you recommended.  I am still getting the Click "Retry" when ever I try to overwrite or rename a file from a client computer.  Not sure if you have any other thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Offline a_d

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 01:32:59 pm »
Did you find a solution for the issue?

Around last christmas I got the same error when changing mp3tags but I did not find a solution. I cleaned permissions etc.
As of today I need to overwrite files and get the same error. It's really annoying and I don't know how to figure it out.

Offline webs0r

• Hello, world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 05:24:53 am »
Hey guys can I chip in as well. I get a similar issue sometimes. So here's my experience, hopefully it helps.
One of the few issues left that I have on RAID-F.

Coincidence? I only get this error using AlbumArtDownloader when downloading cover art "Folder.jpg"
It doesn't happen all the time, and I haven't noticed a pattern that can predict when it will happen.

I get it regardless of whether I am overwriting an existing Folder.jpg or whether there is no file.

I should have kept my old logs, but I get errors logged like so:

[2014-04-15 22:09:38.486022][1908]      [WARN]:[OnSetEndOfFile] SetLengthByHandle: error=5, msg=(null)
         \Music\Artist\The Replacements\Let It Be (1984)\Folder.jpg ->

[2014-04-20 23:04:54.379441][1872]      [WARN]:[OnSetAllocationSize] SetLengthByHandle: error=5, msg=(null)
         \Music\Artist\Emma Bunton\Girl Like Me\folder.jpg ->

Sometimes, just re-doing the action (save) in AlbumArtDownloader will be successful.

Other times, I am left with a 0 byte file in the folder and I have to remove it before I can save it.

Whenever it fails, I get an access denied or permission error from Windows / AlbumArtDownloader, which seems to point to permissions but, at least in my case, does not seem to help, as the permissions are fine.

SYSTEM has full control over the folders and I have never changed it.

Actually, before I go into more details (or try reproducing => that is the problem), can you confirm you get similar log lines in your FlexRAID.sys log??
FlexRAID expert/snapshot RAID/Storage Pool mode
Windows Server 2008 R2, 23 TB pool, Array1: 3TB redundancy, Array 2: 4TB redundancy, 11 drives total

Offline webs0r

• Hello, world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 05:35:47 am »
Ahh I will post what I am thinking, but I am not 100% sure your issue is the same, if you get it 100% of the time.

I kind of suspect it is something to do with smaller files written into the pool, and fast timings.. almost like the pooling system is trying to do something before something else is ready.
I only get these errors with small operations / small files.. like these .jpgs, or sometimes copying small .flacs into the pool (say 10-20 MB) , or sometimes running file tag updates in Foobar that occur extremely quickly (say, writing 4Kb in quick succession to many files).

It is just a bit of a pain to reproduce so I have never logged it; but I reckon I could give it a shot this weekend. I could set logs to TRACE and just keep trying until I manage to do one.
Windows Server 2008 R2, 23 TB pool, Array1: 3TB redundancy, Array 2: 4TB redundancy, 11 drives total

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 06:46:57 pm »
or sometimes running file tag updates in Foobar that occur extremely quickly

This happens to me as well in Foobar. The operation never fails but often takes a long time to complete. I see similar entries in my log files but haven't (yet) looked into it further or tried to diagnose the issue.

Offline a_d

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 09:12:44 am »
Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I reset all my permissions on every single drive only for beeing sure and tried again, but the error still persists.
I tried to overwrite a file "Test.mp3" over my windows share mp3test, permissions are read-write.
My Log entries look similar to yours:

[2014-04-27 15:56:15.539385][0864]      [WARN]:[OnSetAllocationSize] SetLengthByHandle: error=5, msg=(null)
         \Mp3test\Test.mp3 ->

It is not even possible with a big file (6 gb)

Offline webs0r

• Hello, world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 05:22:46 am »
Hi guys + Brahim

I finally got around to reproduce the issue with TRACE logs enabled, posted results in a new issue in the bug tracker:
http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=365

Offline Z0m8ie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 11:27:49 pm »
Was this issue resolved?.