Author Topic: Flexraid recycle bin  (Read 2903 times)

Offline durifto77

• View Profile
Flexraid recycle bin
« on: September 16, 2013, 06:56:23 pm »
I disabled and emptied the windows recycle bin before creating the raid and pooling the drives. I have the flexraid recycle bin to true.

I searched and read the info on flexraid recycle bin, which mostly links back to "limitations of snapshot raid".

I still dont get what the flexraid recycle bin is for. the only thing i got is that once you delete a file from the pool, its gone forever, which confuses me even more what the purpose of the flexraid recycle bin is. the wiki post doesnt clear it up for me.

Offline SirMaster

• View Profile
Re: Flexraid recycle bin
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:58:08 am »
The FlexRAID recycle bin protects your array from DELETE operations between parity updates.

If you were to delete a file on DRU1 and then before parity update DRU2 fails.  You wouldn't be able to restore DRU2 because it relies on ALL files from DRU1.

When the FlexRAID recycle bin is turned on, when you delete a file from DRU1, the file is not actually deleted.  It is really moved to a protected folder on that same DRU1 called _flxr_.  Then when you run a parity update, the _flxr_ folder is excluded from the parity update and the _flxr_ folder is then cleared after the update is successful.

So you wont gain back free space until after you run a parity update.

It's also possible to manually go into the _flxr_ folders and recover files that you deleted before you run a parity update.

Offline durifto77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:35:32 pm »
Thanks for the explanation. I guess the term "enable recycle bin mode" is a bit confusing, clashing with the windows known recycle bin.

Offline grandpatzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 01:20:24 am »
I thought the recycle bin feature had to do with being able to safely delete files from the flexraid pool.