Author Topic: Can't stream file being actively recorded  (Read 10285 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can't stream file being actively recorded
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2014, 11:25:47 pm »
There is nothing of relevance in those logs.
Again, you best bet will be a SageTV developer or verbose messages from the SageTV app giving clues of the issues it is having.

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2014, 11:15:46 pm »
Since Sage was bought out by Google a couple years ago, it isn't being developed anymore (at least, not publicly).  Rather than fight this any longer, I now have Sage accessing the drives directly (caching off in tRAID), but I still use the pool for my own access, so I'm not playing file/folder tetris across multiple drives.  That has eliminated all stuttering and sped up Sage profusely.  I'm still not happy with this solution, but it's good enough for the time being.  Since other Sage users are using unRAID without issue, I may move to that in the future.

Offline dscline

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2014, 08:12:48 am »
I don't use Sage, but just out of curiosity and enhancing my own knowledge to solve my own issues... why does this issue only affect the pool?  If Sage is creating a read lock on the file it is writing, why isn't that also an issue when writing directly to the target drive?
WHS 2011
tRAID final 23 DRUs 2PPUs
Supermicro C2SEA, Q9505s (stock), 4GB
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
IBM m1015 flashed to LSI 9211-8i/IT + HP SAS Expander
Generic SiI3132

Offline Skirge01

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:24 am »
I don't believe this is a file locking issue.  Through all of this troubleshooting, I think I was able to determine that it isn't the file being recorded which is the issue.  At this point, I believe the title of this thread is incorrect.  When the issue occurs, any file being recorded or even played back through the pool will exhibit the issue.  It's clear that Sage is doing something to the pool which causes playback to stutter at times because the same thing happens if playback is done via VLC or MPC-HC and if I disabled the Sage process, the issue disappears.  Using Procmon, I was able to show that Sage wasn't even accessing the file being played back via VLC or MPC-HC when the problem occurred.  If the file is accessed outside the pool through a direct mapping to the drive (UNC or drive letter)--but still residing on a drive which is part of the pool--no issues occur using any playback method.

Offline pooler1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2019, 07:20:13 pm »
I don't believe this is a file locking issue.  Through all of this troubleshooting, I think I was able to determine that it isn't the file being recorded which is the issue.  At this point, I believe the title of this thread is incorrect.  When the issue occurs, any file being recorded or even played back through the pool will exhibit the issue.  It's clear that Sage is doing something to the pool which causes playback to stutter at times because the same thing happens if playback is done via VLC or MPC-HC and if I disabled the Sage process, the issue disappears.  Using Procmon, I was able to show that Sage wasn't even accessing the file being played back via VLC or MPC-HC when the problem occurred.  If the file is accessed outside the pool through a direct mapping to the drive (UNC or drive letter)--but still residing on a drive which is part of the pool--no issues occur using any playback method.
I can confirm I experience this more or less also.