Author Topic: Multiple Storage Pools  (Read 8865 times)

Offline blackstone

• View Profile
Multiple Storage Pools
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:08:12 pm »
Hi,

I read in the Wiki that FlexRAID *can* support multiple pools per system, but is currently restricted to 1.

Was this done for technical reasons? or because it's a preview release?

I need to know, because I have a requirement for 2 seperate pools, one for each of 2 types of backup I am creating, and I specifically need to restrict the backups to different pooled storage.

Many thanks,

Geoff

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Storage Pools
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 04:02:18 pm »
FlexRAID does support multiple pools, but it is limited to just one in the current releases.

There are no technical limitations. Just me deciding to put in that limit. ;)

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 04:10:10 pm »
blackstone Brahim needs to put some limitations so debugging is more "serialized"
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline blackstone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 07:49:12 pm »
@ NLS - Totally understand, and this makes sense.

@Brahim - Let me know when you decide to take it out :)

I switched my Backup solution to use 'Storage Pools' within tha backup app itself. It works better than I expected anyway. In the future, I can still see multiple pools coming in *really* handy.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Offline phenixdragon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 06:07:59 am »
Is it still not possible to create multiple storage pools?

Offline lionhoho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »
FlexRAID does support multiple pools, but it is limited to just one in the current releases.

There are no technical limitations. Just me deciding to put in that limit. ;)

Hi Barhim, it is more than a year since this function be mentioned. Is there any updates? We purchased the license and currently are trying to use this great tool for the studio but we  do need multiple pool. Any news? Thanks.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:25:06 am »
I am holding off all enhancement for the next big release, which will include a new driver and a re-architecture.
Basically, I am redesigning FlexRAID so that multiple processes can be created. Each process will then be able to host one or more configuration.
This will provide isolation so that if a process goes down it does not affect other processes.
Running multiple pools under a single service process is not good and this is why I held off enabling multiple pools.

My intention is to have a big release with all the changes sometime in early Spring.

Offline lionhoho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:24 am »
I am holding off all enhancement for the next big release, which will include a new driver and a re-architecture.
Basically, I am redesigning FlexRAID so that multiple processes can be created. Each process will then be able to host one or more configuration.
This will provide isolation so that if a process goes down it does not affect other processes.
Running multiple pools under a single service process is not good and this is why I held off enabling multiple pools.

My intention is to have a big release with all the changes sometime in early Spring.

Thank you so much for the details. It is a wonderful news! We  just purchased the tool and if there comes with a major updates within a few months(let's say maybe 3.0), do we need to pay for the updates?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:06:44 pm »
Thank you so much for the details. It is a wonderful news! We  just purchased the tool and if there comes with a major updates within a few months(let's say maybe 3.0), do we need to pay for the updates?

The next major update will be in the 2.x branch and will be free. :)
There is no plan for a 3.x version yet, but that's open for innovation.

Offline lionhoho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:34:30 pm »
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Offline Gaevonn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »
Brahim....  As usual, you are the "Man".  Please do post some updates on the new ehancements, as things get closer and should the Multiple Storage Pools truely become an option in the upcoming release, an announcment of that would be great too.  Currently my system is running great, but alittle slow, as i continue to put my media up there.  The multiple Storage pools I believe would help, as I am noticing the slowdown more and more as my TV Shows section is outpacing the Movie Section and my wife and child are using the TV Shows more and more.  Isolating the TV Shows to one pool and the Movies to another would help with this I am sure.  If Spring is the target, I should definitely be ready.  I am currently building a better Drive Chassis and Media Server to house the increased capacity need and would be needing to transfer what I have already to the newer and faster SAS Drives.  Again great job on a wonderful product.

8)
I Work; therefore, I Live.
;-)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:13 am »
I try not to announce things so that I am not bound to a delivery date.  :-[
However, rest assure that FlexRAID is getting revamped and that a new and much improved version is in the works.

So, less PR and more work although I understand that a bit of update goes a very long way.
Stay tuned. :)

Offline Wolf1168

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 05:51:56 pm »
Has there been any movement on the multiple pool front?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2014, 06:39:50 pm »
Has there been any movement on the multiple pool front?

It will be part of the redesign.

Offline Wolf1168

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 05:55:12 pm »
I'm not try to be mouthy.
When is that scheduled?