Author Topic: Smart Stop  (Read 1964 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Smart Stop
« on: October 25, 2013, 01:20:13 am »
When "OS caching" is enabled in t-RAID settings, in order to stop the array and do some stuff offline, one has to disable the "auto-start at boot" and reboot the server. Later, once the offline stuff completed, one has to change again back the settings to re-auto-start the array.

Couldn't the stop button be smart and detects that the settings must be changed before rebooting the server  ???

No idea how the start button could be smart too (as you don't keep state between sessions) and set back the settings to "auto-start" the array.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Stop
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 08:56:36 am »
How is the button going to detect that their changes to be made?
Nothing is preventing you from making the changes while the array is online. Those changes are saved and apply a the next RAID publishing.

No question that we are doing a lot of tweaking and whatnot during RC. However, in production, once everything is set, you will rarely have to touch anything.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:32:06 am »
How is the button going to detect that their changes to be made?

Same as the start button that sometimes detect that a reboot is required... maybe  :-[

Nothing is preventing you from making the changes while the array is online

Nothing... but as long as it would be smart enough to detect the need to reboot, why no go one step further

It's true that it will not be used often, but much more often than a bulk registration... well, I hope  ;D

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 10:42:27 am »
If I am not mistaken, I think you want the system to know that you intend to do stuff offline such that it disables auto-start. That falls in the realm of mind reading.  :P

If you know that you intend to do stuff offline, disabling auto-start before rebooting is just 3 mouse clicks.

If this was an issue with merely stopping the array from the Web UI, we could have added a menu to the stop button with a submenu that stops and automatically disables auto-start.
However, in the case of OS Caching, you can't stop the pool from the Web UI.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 11:11:20 am »
No need to read in my mind  :D

==> I simply clicked on "stop" (intending indeed to do stuff offline) and got this message "Stopping the array is not allowed as the array was published with OS Caching turned on. To reset the array, please reboot your system. Nonetheless, you can start and stop the storage pool through the advanced menu if you wish.".

There is no other reason to click on Stop when OS Caching is turned on, does it ?.

Now that you have implemented the reboot feature, you could use it when "Start" or "Stop" request the user to reboot. You could simply prompt the user to agree or refuse to reboot automatically.

I agree we don't need feature dedicated to testing/debugging*. But here, it would only be a user friendly feature improving his experience...  (yet without changing the settings in the background) :P

* I remember someone who told me that he wanted to keep the name of a weird menu named  "(CQ=64), (OS Caching) (SWO=9) (Direct I/0)" although indeed not meaningful for the daily need of an end user  :-X

I'm teasing you... I know it's not equivalent... The Smart stop was just a suggestion, it's much less important than performance, stability, etc... no need to spend energy on that!

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 03:26:45 pm »
There is no other reason to click on Stop when OS Caching is turned on, does it ?.
You can do Sync/Verify offline after stopping from the advance menu.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 05:00:46 pm »
@terrastrife

I can stop the pool from the advanced menu, but not the array !?
Notice that we are talking about the special case where "OS caching" is enabled => not possible to stop the array

There is one limitation to OS Caching, which that an array cannot be stopped after being published and one has to reboot to stop the array.

V.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:03:33 pm »
I have made the following changes to the Web UI. When switching between OS Caching and TCQ, auto-start is automatically disabled.
Thanks. :)