Author Topic: Grant "Read-only" access to the settings although a task is running  (Read 1541 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
When an initialization or Verify&Sync task is running, one doesn't have any access to the configuration settings.
This is annoying as such tasks can run for hours and one could need to check the value of some settings.

Could't you grant access to the window BUT with all fields disabled instead of disabling completely the access?

V.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
Re: Grant "Read-only" access to the settings although a task is running
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:24:46 am »
Why you don't have access to the configuration settings?
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:06:16 am »
As long as a task is running, the menu is disabled (the one with a label like (CQ=64)-(TCQ=32)-(SWO=8)...)

V.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:09:12 am »
@vletroye
Yeah, I see what you are saying.

The idea however is to prevent users from making changes while a task is running. This is to account for cases where a task might be adjusting some of the settings in the background. We don't have such case yet, but I have the system in place for when that might be.
So, I am not sure we want to enable that options panel. Specially, since you will have no way of seeing the changes effective anyway.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 09:51:22 am »
I wanted to take a screen capture of this window (for you) but it was inaccessible as a task was running...

:)

V.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:45:28 am »
I wanted to take a screen capture of this window (for you) but it was inaccessible as a task was running...

:)

V.
LOL! I figured.  ;D
There a certainly a number of things that would be great during testing. However, it is important to remember the limited scope of these features.