Author Topic: Complete and shutdown  (Read 3719 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Complete and shutdown
« on: October 26, 2013, 01:22:21 pm »
When one schedule a task (like a full Verify&Sync) or start a Contraction/Expansion, it would be great to have an option to shutdown on completion.

So, we don't have to check every hour if the task is completed and if one can stop the server... (as far as it's not a 24/7).

V.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:28:36 pm by vletroye »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Complete and shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »
Interesting request.
However, its scope is highly limited. Most storage arrays will be deployed to be online 24/7.
In energy saving situation, letting the system go into standby is most appropriate.

Email or SMS notification on task completion can be the trigger point if you need to shutdown through the Web UI.

The thing I am weighing when I entertain feature requests is the complexity all these options add to the UI.
The UI has gotten to complex that there will be a simpler dashboard like version of it.

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 04:12:07 pm »
Actually it is pretty valid for non-24/7 snapshot based servers.
Should be easy to implement since you already have trigger points.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:01:32 pm »
Actually it is pretty valid for non-24/7 snapshot based servers.
Should be easy to implement since you already have trigger points.
Do tell more.
Under what scenario it be more valid than letting the PC go into standby mode from the OS power settings?
We are talking about complete power shutdown here.

Again, remember that I am weight these request against the added UI complexity.

I could add an entry to the advanced operations menu to toggle a "Shutdown on Next Task Completion".
Then when the last task completes, I could shut down the host.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 02:39:28 am »
I don't use stand by for my file server. Instead I do an actual shutdown. This is to give a chance for the updates and patches to apply. Also, it consumes a bit less power. I really don't use this server more than once a week, mainly for backups.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:22:12 am »
Do we care for whether the task was successful or not when deciding to shutdown?

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:20:35 am »
Do tell more.
Under what scenario it be more valid than letting the PC go into standby mode from the OS power settings?
We are talking about complete power shutdown here.

Again, remember that I am weight these request against the added UI complexity.

I could add an entry to the advanced operations menu to toggle a "Shutdown on Next Task Completion".
Then when the last task completes, I could shut down the host.

Stand-by doesn't stop anything. Just "freezes" it. A shutdown is more welcome for MANY MANY cases.
- Some hardware does not support sleep states well (or at all).
- Updates.
- Minor memory leaks or memory fragmentation that is "fixed" by reboot (or shutdown and switch on when needed).
or the plain reason that people do NOT wont even minor power consumption (that sleep modes make) when server is not doing something and not needed.

I don't see how it would add clutter. It's just one more "after task finish" action...
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline harpz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 06:14:53 am »
Not been here long and still testing tRAID in virtualbox to see if fits my needs (should have some drives in few days to actually test in my spare micro server) but looks like I'll be making the switch from unraid once tRAID becomes available.

That said at the moment i have my unraid box go to sleep or shut down once the mover has finished its tasks, never really looked into weather or not it was a flexraid feature and like the idea a lot, with energy prices continuing to rise year after year any saving i can make is a good one.

Just my 2 pence :)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 10:51:44 am »
Stand-by doesn't stop anything. Just "freezes" it. A shutdown is more welcome for MANY MANY cases.
- Some hardware does not support sleep states well (or at all).
- Updates.
- Minor memory leaks or memory fragmentation that is "fixed" by reboot (or shutdown and switch on when needed).
or the plain reason that people do NOT wont even minor power consumption (that sleep modes make) when server is not doing something and not needed.

I don't see how it would add clutter. It's just one more "after task finish" action...
Please explain in bold. Where in the UI and how do you see this implemented?
I have posted my suggestion about above about putting a toggle menu in the "Advanced Operations" menu that toggles off when executed.
I don't want to prompt users after every action if they want a shutdown when completed. That's the clutter I am referring to.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:46 pm »
I don't have access right now to the UI (it's blocked by a "Verify&Sync")

But the best experience for the user could be to have a checkbox "shutdown on completion" in the popup messages that you display when one clicks on an action (I mean: those messages telling that the task if going to be processed online/offline, ...).

By default, this check-box would be "unchecked".

Most users will just click on OK in those popup (keeping the default) to run the task.
Some users will tick the checkbox before clicking on Ok.

I think personally that the shutdown must be done without paying attention to the results of the tasks (success or failure) except if a reboot would kill the machine (like rebooting after a failed bios update ;D )

I didn't play yet with tRAID's scheduled task and I am not expert in ACPI stuff... Is it possible to programmatically schedule a wake-up from powered-down state (S5) with a wakeOnRTC (in bios) ? If this is possible, you could support the definition of scheduled tasks that wake-up the PC and optionally shutdown on completion.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 05:21:07 pm »
No action can be triggered while in an S state.

I personally don't want to present the option to shutdown at every task execution.
I will implement what I previously stated.
Those that want this feature will have to hit the advanced operations menu and toggle shutdown mode. The beauty here is that the shutdown can be aborted if one changes his mind by going back to the same menu.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:07:01 am »
Once ticked, this option would be kept after the reboot and also apply on the next task, right ?
It would therefore not be the best user-experience (although only used by a few users)

What about this suggestion instead: You have already added menus to "Shutdown", "Restart", ... right.
I would see an additional menu "Shutdown after..." with sub-menus "Verify+", "Verify&Sync", "Re-create".

This menu would not be used for normal use and therefore not be boring for most users.
But still, it would be very efficient for those who want to shutdown there machine after such a task.

V.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:34:35 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I went forward with my proposed approach for a number of reasons including:
- being able to set it on a per RAID configuration basis rather than globally
- ability to cancel the shutdown
- better overall orchestration of the functionality

See attached screenshot.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:05:27 pm »
The advanced menu will be disabled once a task like Re-Create starts, right ?

It means that we may not forget to enable the "shutdown" option as it may not be done once the task runs...

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 05:12:24 pm »
Hum... yeah... and no way to cancel too until the task is one... and then you have 45 seconds to abort.  :P

Will revisit this later.