Author Topic: Transparent RAID 1.0 final (with official Linux support & RAID1/N-way mirroring)  (Read 21936 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
New in the 2014-10-29 release:
Change Log: http://dl.flexraid.com/Transparent-RAID-Change-Log.txt
Key new feature among others is support for creating and deploying RAID 1 or N-way mirroring arrays.

Without further ado, presenting: Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™). :)

What is Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™)?
Transparent RAID is a storage protection scheme in which drives behave as if not part of a RAID. Each drive can be partitioned, formatted, pooled into a larger volume, and whatnot as usual.
Nevertheless, parity is computed transparently to enable data recovery in the event a drive failure.
Additionally, new drives being protected can be added while preserving their existing data.
This makes it easy to add and remove a drive from the protective array.
So, you get all of the protection benefit of RAID without actually running in RAID mode and none of the restrictions!

How did we accomplish this?
Transparent RAID uses the same technology as VMware does to virtualize its storage devices.
The key aspect of this virtualization approach is support for passthrough devices.

Storage Pooling
By design, tRAID has no concept of storage pooling, and you can effectively use it without any storage pooling.
You can read/write from/to the individual transparent drives and parity is captured transparently.
Nonetheless, tRAID comes with a new Storage Pooling technology, which is enabled by default.

In all, you will have several options with tRAID:
  • Run without pooling:
    In this mode, each drive is effectively standalone.
  • Run with native pooling for tRAID (default and recommended):
    Unlike the storage pooling in RAID-F, the native pooling for TRAID does not use mounted drives.
    Instead, it pools the drives by interacting with the file system (NTFS or other) driver directly and by accessing the raw volumes.
    This makes for a much lighter-weight and robust solution. More on this later.
  • Run with RAID-F pooling:
    You can use any storage pooling solution already on the market including RAID-F's storage pooling if those fit your needs more appropriately.
  • New: Users can now configure and run the native tRAID pooling without RAID!
Installation
  • Windows:
    There are two packages to install:
    • The host deployment package:
      The host package is just a zip file that you unzip to a directory where you want the service broker to run from.
      Once unzipped, you simply right-click on the "install.bat" file and run it as administrator.

The following rules apply:
      • You must reboot your system after installing.
      • Moreover, you MUST reboot before uninstalling and after uninstalling. The uninstall script must also be run as administrator.
    • The Web Client administration application:
      The client application installs the same way you install FlexRAID RAID-F (execute the EXE and follow the screens).
      You only need one client application install to manage multiple hosts. In fact, you should never manage the same host from multiple clients.
  • Linux:
    See wiki: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2014/06/22/ultimate-linux-guide-to-transparent-raid/

Wiki
http://wiki.flexraid.com/category/traid/

1.0 Final Release

Completed UI features:
  • Creating RAID
  • Deploying RAID
  • Verifying RAID
  • Restoring RAID (including being able to restore to PPU)
  • RAID Expansion
  • RAID Contraction
  • Automatic RAID Restoration from Global Hot-Spare
  • RAID Import by Host Scanning
  • Native Storage Pooling for tRAID
  • Native Storage Pooling Without tRAID
  • Configuration Override (to easily simulate recovery scenarios and to execute advanced operations)
  • Wake-On-Lan
  • Host reboot/shutdown & Shutdown on Task Complete
  • Performance tuning including Sequential Write Optimization, Tagged Command Queuing, OS Caching
  • Scheduled Configuration DB Backup to Directory & to Email
  • Powerful Enterprise Level Scheduler
  • SMART Monitoring
  • Dashboard & Charts
  • Alerts (email, SMS, & Sound)
  • UI Themes: 9 to choose from
  • Support for creating and deploying RAID 1 or N-way mirroring arrays

Download:

Quick Notes
  • User/Password: admin/admin
  • After adding a host to manage onto the UI, activate by requesting a trial
Known Issues
- Trial licenses are invalidated when you uninstall the WebUI. Re-requesting the trial will work.
- If a host machine is restarted while the WebUI in active in your browser, you must refresh on the host's node in the WebUI to update of its status. That or refresh your browser to reload the WebUI.

Important notes
  • Do NOT use any RAID-F RAID (Snapshot RAID nor RT RAID) on tRAID as that would be redundant.
  • When initializing your tRAID array, your source drives will be placed in offline mode. Do not ever attempt to revive them from that state.
    tRAID puts the source drives in offline mode and then presents itself to the OS as being the drives placed in offline mode.
    Switching the source drives from offline mode will confuse the OS and might lead to data corruption as the OS will be seeing two drives pretending to be the same device.

Performance
The default configuration in this release represents the best case scenario for data integrity and some improved performance for sequential writes.
The reason behind all this is to create a safer introduction to Transparent RAID.
RAID, whether it be software RAID or hardware RAID has some inherent vulnerabilities when implemented without battery backup.
So, in accounting for power failures or system crashes, we have setup the default configuration to be as resilient as possible.

To improve on your RAID's performance, please read: http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,2326.0.html
Then: Transparent RAID Performance Thread - Part 1 and Transparent RAID Performance Thread - Part 2

Running both RAID-F and tRAID on the same system
The Web UI services for both RAID-F and tRAID run on the same port by default (port 8080).
To run both on the same system, you will need to change the Web UI port for one of the services.
Changing the port is the same for both and is documented here: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/03/26/how-to-change-the-ports-used-by-flexraid/
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 02:13:58 am by Brahim »

Offline harpz

• View Profile
Re: Transparent RAID 1.0 final
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:08:58 pm »
Contrasts on the release of v1.0 I am seriously looking at tRAID as a replacement to unraid on my server but before I do a few questions.

with regard to the licence how long  is it valid for, is it for just the v1.x series, I ask as $99.95 is a lot of money for me at the moment, if so maybe I'll wait a little.

At the moment I'm running a trail on a win7 virtual box when that expires can it be extended as my next tests will be on my spare micro server once I can scrounge enough drives together for it to test properly.

will the licence also be valid for the Linux version when it's released as ideally I would like to run tRAID on Ubuntu or Xubuntu, is there an eta on the Linux version?

sorry for the trivial questions I don't mean to sound tight or unappreciative of all your hard work I just need to be super  sure before I spend what little money I have to spare.

once again contgrats on v1.0

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 06:45:24 pm »
Even if the price only covers version 1.x you're buying the features you already want. Even if new features are added, it's already doing what you wanted it to do. There is no one forcing you to pay again for something you may or may not use.
I'm downloading now and will be purchasing as soon as I get home (at a LAN right now)
IU am also in the boat of migrating from unRAID to FlexRAID, and while the learning curve is steep, it's worth it.

Brahim: is there a chance for an "upgrade" from RAID-F to TRAID? I purchase RAIDF not too long ago but never really used it as I found the TRAID beta.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:47:20 pm by terrastrife »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 06:55:12 pm »
@harpz
Yes, the license only covers the 1.x branch. That said, let's hope that I can come up with something even better to justify a 2.x branch.
I certainly won't wake up one random day and just rename things to 2.x just so I can charge for new licenses.
A 2.x release will require some significant changes, and let's all hope that I can continue to innovate to warrant such thing.
So again, a 2.x release should be great news as that would mean something good for all. :)

The same has been true for RAID-F and no one has ever paid an upgrade price yet. ;)
However, I have every motivation to change that by innovating.

Yes, you can have a trial extension. Existing customers can already grant themselves trial extensions through the consumer portal.
In fact, you are highly encouraged to make use of the trials to ensure that the product fits your needs before purchase. :)

Offline jerryt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:52:08 am »
Upgraded from RC10 to 1.0 final

PPu1 came up dropped, I can un-fail drive, shutdown and boot times are long.

PPU1 has been un-failed for a day now, but when I select "Verify sync" I get "The requested operation cannot be executed as at least one failed device was detected in the array, recover instead".

Wiki appears to be down; http://wiki.flexraid.com/2013/06/27/transparent-raid-dealing-with-a-dropped-disk/
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 07:58:20 am by jerryt »

Offline TonioRoffo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:24:51 am »
I just bought flexraid last week and of course would like to upgrade to traid.  Can you please inform me how to proceed ?

I haven't even activated flexraid yet.

Offline Jerremy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:37:23 am »
Going to give this a try, but damn @ 7-9 hours of parity calculation before it starts the array :(
(8 DRU's of 3Tb, sure it was going at '850mb/sec' but it still is going to take several hours)

Sucks a bit that it can't do the initial parity calculation in the background.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 12:13:29 pm »
@jerryt
The wiki is back up.

@TonioRoffo
If you have not activated yet, you can buy tRAID and PM me or email sales for a refund on the previous purchase.

@Jerremy
You could have done background initialization, which is:
1. Choose to initialize by doing nothing (the first option)
2. Start the array
3. Run the Verify & Sync operation while the array is up

Offline Jerremy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 12:53:22 pm »
I can't believe I missed that!  :-[

It's initializing in the background now, 380mb/sec. I'm fine with that.

You saved movie night ;D

Offline Kryspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 07:45:34 pm »
LINUX release timeframe ???

Kryspy

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 08:01:56 pm »
I installed and activated a trial license (finally got the service to install and run). Does this only support two PPUs? I'm following the guides in the wiki and when attempting to add my third PPU it says my pool supports a maximum of 2 PPUs. Is this a trial license limitation?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:04:21 pm by Quaraxkad »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 08:50:48 pm »
LINUX release timeframe ???

Kryspy
Linux tRAID development will resume next month or so.

I installed and activated a trial license (finally got the service to install and run). Does this only support two PPUs? I'm following the guides in the wiki and when attempting to add my third PPU it says my pool supports a maximum of 2 PPUs. Is this a trial license limitation?
The current release is limited to 2 PPUs, but this will increase gradually in future releases.
I had to keep some features off to get you all to come back.  :P

Offline johnzered

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 06:23:29 am »
Congratulations to the 1.0 release! Just a quick question regarding the license versions.
The disk limitation is physical disks right? Not the number of DRU:s or PPU:s but rather the total of them both.

I'm considering buying the Limit 5 edition as I currently only have 3 (2+1) disks in my array. And I do not see myself expanding more than two disks in the foreseeable future. If however that would happen, what are my options if I then would like to upgrade to the Limit 8 or Unlimited edition? Do I have to buy a totally new license or will there be some kind of upgrade path?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 07:54:40 am »
@johnzered
Yes, the limit is on the total number of disks (DRUs + PPUs).
The limited disk licenses do make sense for those micro-servers and NAS enclosures that are typically limited to 4 or 8 disks.

I have not worked out the upgrade path process yet, but there will be one.

I'd say people should always plan for bigger storage than they actually think they will need. A limited license + upgrade cost will always cost more than just buying the next license level.

Offline TonioRoffo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 09:00:58 am »
Linux tRAID development will resume next month or so.

Looking forward to December, then! :)