Author Topic: Transparent RAID 1.0 final (with official Linux support & RAID1/N-way mirroring)  (Read 24017 times)

Offline Reddwarfusa

• View Profile
Re: Transparent RAID 1.0 final
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 03:19:58 pm »
I think its a great product and well worth the cost, cheaper and more control that a standard raid array.  I just purchased the unlimited as I expect to grow the raid in the future.  I am still have some teething troubles but hopefully sorted soon!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:11:25 pm by Reddwarfusa »

Offline snown

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 08:51:10 pm »
Congratulations on 1.0!

I have a quick licensing question. I would like to support the development of the linux version (as I don't really have a use for a Windows version at the moment), and am wondering if I buy a license now will I be able to use it on the Linux version at a future date?

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 11:36:46 pm »
Thanks to all above. :)

I have a quick licensing question. I would like to support the development of the linux version (as I don't really have a use for a Windows version at the moment), and am wondering if I buy a license now will I be able to use it on the Linux version at a future date?
Yes, you can buy a license now, add it to your consumer portal account to manage it, and let it sit until ready to use it.

Offline tycheleto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 06:39:39 am »
Great work on tRAID, it's really an excellent product!

I purchased the flexraid combo about 6 months ago, used it for a few months, and was having stability issues where I was having the array hanging and needing to recalculate parity every few days. At that point, I decided to try tRAID, which was probably at RC6 or RC7, and have been on that until now. As such, I am interested in moving to tRAID, but am a bit reluctant to spend the full amount on the license, as I only used FlexRAID for a couple of months, and will likely never use it again once I move over.

Is there any way to get a further discount on the license by deactivating the old license(which has not been in use for a couple of months), or will I have to pay the full existing customer price?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 09:34:48 am »
Is there any way to get a further discount on the license by deactivating the old license(which has not been in use for a couple of months), or will I have to pay the full existing customer price?
No other discount besides those.

Offline DragonQ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 07:25:22 am »
Not sure whether to give this a go or not. Is there a page anywhere giving a brief overview of the pros and cons of each system? I can only really think of one pro and con of the top of my head (for my usage scenario anyway):

Pro: tRAID means the parity is up-to-date, whereas Snapshot RAID means any files made since the last snapshot aren't safe.
Con: tRAID provides no way to restore accidentally deleted files, whereas Snapshot RAID does, providing a snapshot hasn't been taken since you deleted the files.

I also have no UPS so am concerned about not being able to use tRAID with high performance settings.

EDIT: Ah, I'll have a read of this.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:31:23 am by DragonQ »
Windows Server 2012 | MSI H77MA-G43 | Intel Celeron G1610 | OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (64 GB)

Startech PEXSATA24E SATA Controller | ST4000DM000 (4 TB) | WD30EZRX (3 TB) | DT01ACA300 (3TB) | HD204UI (2 TB) | WD20EARS (2 TB) | WD15EADS (1.5 TB) | 2x WD15EARS (1.5 TB) | ST31500341AS (1.5 TB)

Offline bobbintb

• View Profile

Offline harpz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 07:20:32 am »
hi Brahim

Is there likely to be another sale on tRAID after 15th December? Only ask as not sure if i can scrape the pennies together in time :(

Also it states that each license is node locked and platform specific on activation, does this mean that if i install on win7 and then want to switch to a Linux base i cant?

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:49:55 am by harpz »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 08:22:07 am »
The sale does end on December 15th.

Indeed. Each license is platform specific. Once you activate on one platform, the license is locked to that platform.
There is a lot of work that goes into making these applications work on each platform. RAID-F wasn't too bad, but porting tRAID to Linux is a whole new ball game.

Right now, the licenses are selling for the same price regardless of the platform, but once the Linux version of tRAID gets ready, we will likely bump up its price due to the extra development cost.
In fact, this is what will certainly happen in order to make it clear to users that we see them as separate efforts.

Offline harpz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 09:11:57 am »
Thanks Brahim for the reply
So I'm really better off waiting for the Linux version if i want to save myself some money, didn't really want to go out a buy another windows license if it could be helped.

Offline bobbintb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
Are the licenses tied to the hardware? if i upgrade my server will i need to buy another license? i see the wiki about it for fraid but wondered if it is the same for traid. i keep the same drives but occasionally upgrade the mobo or cpu.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:46:35 pm by bobbintb »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 01:18:49 pm »
Upgrades are fine. Or else, we would not be talking of license transfers. ;)

Upgrading one or two components will usually not affect the activation and you won't even need a license transfer.
However, users tend to upgrade the Mobo + CPU + RAM at once and effectively the whole computer. Once enough components are replaced, you will need to initiate a transfer, which is free and is just a way to update the information with the activation server.

If you go buy or build a completely new system with a new set of disks, you will need a separate license for it.

Offline johnzered

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 10:01:39 am »
@Brahim
What about switching between different Windows versions then? If I activate my license on Server 2012 Essentials R2 and later decide to switch to Windows 7 or 8 or whatever is that allowed?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 10:51:18 am »
You can switch between different OSes on the same platform.
Switching between Windows and Linux is what is restricted.

So, on Windows, you can switch between the different OSes just fine.
Same thing on Linux.

[Edit]
This has been added to the FAQ: http://www.flexraid.com/faq-items/license-activation-policy/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:12:12 am by Brahim »

Offline EGOvoruhk

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 12:35:41 am »
Switching between Windows and Linux is what is restricted.

Does that mean those of us that are waiting for the Linux build should not purchase a license yet? I was tempted to, due to the (50% off) price. Or is it platform agnostic until activated?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw one of your older posts saying what's on sale can be used for Linux when it's ready
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:54:06 am by EGOvoruhk »