Author Topic: Which would you recommed for my server? RaidF or TRaid  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Abula

• View Profile
Which would you recommed for my server? RaidF or TRaid
« on: November 03, 2013, 06:54:32 am »
Hello,

Im about to move my server from WHSv1 to WHS2011 mostly because i need to expand the storage to 2tb+ hdds, this are the following specs

SUPERMICRO X9SCM-F
Kingston 4GB ECC DDR3 1333
Intel Xeon E3-1230
Crucial M4 256GB
2x IBM M1015
8x Hitachi 5K3000 2TB
8x Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB
4x Samsung  HD154UI 1.5TB
LIAN LI PC-D8000

I'll probably swap the 1.5tb and 2tb hdds in the near future, to 4tb or 5tb (if available), probably when 4k content becomes available.

I only use my server for storing movies, streaming and transcoding, i don't need real time protection, im fine with snapshots and doing them overnight, and even then the movies are still on blurays so if i lose a hdd i'll just re rip them, but i would prefer if i don't have to.  I do value that the software is more stable and i don't have to trouble shoots hours to make it work or fix a bug, etc.  So with this in mind what do you guys recommend me, RaidF or TRaid for my server?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Which would you recommed for my server? RaidF or TRaid
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:18:28 am »
It is hard to beat the flexibility of RAID-F:
- Upgrading from one drive to another will involve only copying the data from the old to the new
- Your write performance will also be higher with RAID-F
- Ability to add network shares as part of the pool
- Supports removable disks (tRAID can support them too, but it is not recommended)
- You pay for the parity cost only at scheduled times

If you care for the above and don't mind that you will have to exclude catalog data (the data generated by your movie collection manager) and thumbs.db files, then do go with Snapshot RAID.

The strength in real-time parity is:
- Support for all data (static or dynamic)
- No Snapshot Update Hole

For real-time RAID, I would go with tRAID over RT RAID as it is far more robust.
I still have plans to patch RT RAID as I think Real-Time RAID over File System has some great potentials.

The great thing is, you can trial both RAID-F and tRAID with ease. No data migration is needed, and they both let you regain full control of your disks at anytime you wish to with zero impact on your data. So, take advantage of that and get a feel for both.