Author Topic: Support for OpenMediaVault  (Read 52362 times)

Offline R27

• View Profile
Re: Support for OpenMediaVault
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2012, 06:20:44 am »
OK, this is disappointing - but if FR isn't going to work on OMV in a formally supported way then let's just say so and bin it. Non OMV builds or non-Debian distros I can't comment on.

I can't blame Brahim for acting commercially, if the time spent fixing this can't be commercially justified then Brahim is (as far as I'm concerned) perfectly within his rights to say "sorry, doesn't work, low priority so not sure if or when it will". Or whatever the answer is. That does of course require honesty about what actually works and what doesn't.

For the record, I'm one of the 100s who has paid for a FR license, and I don't have a working install. Well, I have bigger things to worry about so I'll put it down as a contribution to the cause and hope that something happens in the future. Brahim, please do feel free to email me etc. if there is a supported release that fixes things.

If Undergrid is right and the issue is at the OMV end, well that's a different story. Volker is very good about saying "what's in the release will be in the release and it will be ready when it's ready". A bit frustrating maybe but at least honest. I think he is pretty good about picking up feature requests through Mantis, so maybe Undergrid could raise one there (if you've not already done so)? Supporting different file system identifiers doesn't sound like a big thing, but then I know jack about these things  ???

Thanks to R27 and Brahim for the hands-on support and attempts to get FR running on my OMV installation.

R27 - also for the record, I think your knowledge and commitment will be valuable here so if you do decide to stick around then I'm sure everyone will benefit and appreciate it. Your decision of course  ;)

Take care all and keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Scott

Scott, this story is not about OMV. It is about general FR support under linux.

OMV doesn't see FR pool because FR doesn't produce UUID. OMV is open source product. You can modify it codes if you wish and that is what I did.

But changing OMV config doesn't fix FR speed issue, startup mount problem, nfs, crashes and etc ...

Scott, you can email me if you will need a help ;)

Regards.

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2012, 06:46:00 am »
You say we can't blame Brahim, but then whom customers have to blame when they purchase FR because they see this on flexraid.com -

"Pick the OS and platform you are comfortable with. Supported on Windows (including XP, Win 7, W2k8, WHSv1, WHS 2011, and Windows Storage Server) and Linux (including Ubuntu, Redhat, SUSE, Zentyal, OpenMediaVault, and many others)." - Really? OpenMediaVault ? Redhat ?

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2012, 08:37:21 am »
Sure, I absolutely agree with you. The point I was trying to make was that in my opinion it's ok to act commercially and to take reasonable commercial decisions, but the quid pro quo to that is that you need to be honest with customers. So you're right, the statement that it works with OMV, and possibly other Linux flavours, does not seem to be correct and should be removed until such a time as FR does work as claimed. The statement you quoted (which I'd forgotten about) could well be construed as mis-selling given that FR doesn't seem to work on OMV, that several users have reported such and that the vendor has been notified, even if the claim was initially made in good faith. Not that anyone's likely to be such an arse about things, but friendly suggestion to Brahim, might be worth scrubbing the OMV compatibility claim until such time as things are sorted. I specifically bought on the basis that it worked. I neither seek nor want a refund, but others might.

Regarding the FR point under Linux, I'm happy to stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying  :)

Thanks also for the offer of help (generous as usual). I'll pass for now though until released, production versions of OMV and FR play happily together!

Please all - take this in the supportive spirit in which it's meant.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2012, 08:47:40 pm »
@R27
Let me summarize all as such:

1. Slow write speed under Linux for some users being a known issue (being worked on) does not make it unstable. So, use your words appropriately.

2. Having to start NFS after FlexRAID has started is just part of what you have to deal with. Period. Sorry if that has not been clear to you yet. FlexRAID does not control your OS to orchestrate startup priorities and whatnot. You have to define those. Inconvenient != it does not work.

3. The issue with FlexRAID under OMV was clearly stated to be restrictions within OMV. So, what annoys me is that you being someone that was wholly part of this thread would skip on that basic aspect and make unwarranted comments. All along, it has been about how the create a pool that can be managed by the OMV UI. We all know that a pool outside of the control of OMV can easily be created (create a user not managed by OMV, install FlexRAID under it, create a pool as document on the wiki for a standard Linux install, and come tell me if that does not work).

@flaca
I've had a personal interest in OMV even outside of the commercial nature of FlexRAID.
However, time restriction (including my current work on NZFS) is preventing me from dedicating time to the OMV integration. It is a bit of a niche.
There is no code change I can make to make OMV loosen its grip on the OS. So, the change will have to come from OMV.
Again, I still have interest in this integration but just lack the time.
Nothing is preventing me from saying no support from OMV and moving on, but I would like to see FlexRAID integrated on all types of solutions including closed ones.
What I offered was my time for any user wanting to investigate. So, my expectations are constructive questions and not rash comments from unfounded expectations.

Now, getting back to trying to find a nice integration.
I have mentioned that FlexRAID's mount parameters can changed to play nice with OMV. Read here.
The full issue was properly explained by beut here.
Basically, if you bypass OMV and create the pool, the OMV admin console not owning the user will have issues managing the pool.
OMV poses restrictions between the admin user account for the UI and the user account for a shell session.

The secret in all this is figuring out how to have OMV let user use a single user for the its admin console and remote session.

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2012, 08:31:03 am »
Brahim, understood and accepted. I do appreciate the time you've taken both generally on this and specifically to try and help me set it up.

If you'd like me to raise a change request for OMV then please let me know the details.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2012, 12:39:15 pm »
Brahim, understood and accepted. I do appreciate the time you've taken both generally on this and specifically to try and help me set it up.

If you'd like me to raise a change request for OMV then please let me know the details.

Cheers,
Scott
Raising a change request for OMV would be great.
Essentially, we need an option to have the UI admin user be the same as the remote console user.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2012, 08:00:45 am »
FYI, I sent Volker a message:

Hi Volker,

In trying to integrate FlexRAID into OMV, we have hit a road block in that we need the admin user to be the same user as the user under which FlexRAID is running. Right now, since the admin user is not able to open a console session, we are forced to use a different user to install, configure, and mount the FlexRAID pool. Doing so, however, poses issues with the admin user from the fact that the pool is not running under its credential.

Can we get a special user that is both admin (from a OMV UI perspective) and has the right to a remote shell session?

Thanks a great deal and fantastic work on OMV.

Hopefully, we will get some positive news.

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2012, 06:55:32 am »
Thanks Brahim, you put it much more completely and accurately than I could ever hope to!

Yes let's hope we get a response. Volker seems pretty good about these things unless there's a reason he doesn't want to do something (and he is admirably protective about "the right" way to do things). Frustrating sometimes, but it's probably the only way to keep control and OMV is kind of keeping people's precious data. Including mine.

Actually, as I've put on the OMV forum, FR would be an excellent addition to OMV.

Thanks for your continued support to resolve this.

Offline Bart

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2012, 04:12:34 pm »
This thread hasn't been updated in a while now.    Has Volker ever responded?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2012, 07:29:49 am »
This thread hasn't been updated in a while now.    Has Volker ever responded?

Yes, he has.
I just haven't had the time to follow up.

Here is a quote from what he is recommending:

the user 'admin' is only used by the webgui, thus giving it enhanced permissions is no good idea in my eyes. I currently do not have an idea why you need the admin user to do your necessary actions, normally this is done by the RPC where you can use 'sudo' to get root privileges. But maybe you are using the admin for something else, did not have the time till now to check other plugins. But you are free to add the user 'admin' to the root group and add it to the sudoer list (e.g. in the postinst script of your plugin), but take care to clean up your changes during uninstall. As said in the project name, OMV is open to do any dirty things, there is no restriction by an API or something else. This is good on one side, but may make problems on the other side if users opening bug reports for OMV that are triggered by external plugins.

Offline drdownload

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2013, 06:42:03 am »
so I still cant use a flexraid pool with omv sharing options?