Author Topic: Support for OpenMediaVault  (Read 50908 times)

Offline flaca

• View Profile
Re: Support for OpenMediaVault
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 03:15:50 am »
This is fantastic news, just seen the thread on the OMV forum. Well done beut and thanks to Brahim.

I'm going to give this a go. Beut, could I ask a big favour? I'm a linux noob, though learning fast. I understand the concepts in your instructions from my DOS days but I don't know the linux commands. There are a couple of steps in your instructions that I'm not sure about. If you have time, could you write the linux commands to achieve each step in your instructions? If you don't have time, I'll work it out I think, but it would really help.

Also, a really dumb question, which download files do I need (e.g. CLI only Linux file?) and how do you get the Flexraid GUI to display? I've installed Xming and can get other server-side GUIs to display fine on my PC, but not sure how to invoke Flexraid GUI.

I've put comments against your instructions below in red caps.

- create a new user in OpenMediaVault for FlexRAID JUST THROUGH OMV GUI I PRESUME
- install default-jre USING APT-GET INSTALL OR APTITUDE?
- install fuse-utils
- install ia32-libs
- made /home/"username"/flexraid directory and chmod o+w on it I THINK I GET THIS, MKDIR [DIRECTORY NAME] THEN CHMOD [DIRECTORY NAME] o+w?
- add "username" to fuse group NOW I'M STUCK!
- uncomment "user_allow_other" in /etc/fuse.conf NANO /ETC/FUSE.CONF AND REMOVE # BEFORE USER_ALLOW_OTHER?
- make executable and run Flexraid.bin in  /home/"username"/flexraid STUCK AGAIN, HELP PLEASE
- chmod o=rx on  /home/"username"/flexraid CHMOD [DIRECTORY NAME] o=rx?
- cd /home/"username"/flexraid and type ./FlexRAID EASY

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:58:18 pm by flaca »

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 02:15:11 pm »
Ignore the comment about the GUI, I read that the Flexraid package comes with a GUI. But how do I install a JSON-RPC in OpenMediaVault please?

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »
Ignore the comment about the GUI, I read that the Flexraid package comes with a GUI. But how do I install a JSON-RPC in OpenMediaVault please?

Thanks,
Scott

What do you mean by installing JSON-RPC?
Are you trying to write a UI integration?

On default install, you can access the FlexRAID UI on port 8080.

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:39:42 am »
Oops, thanks Brahim. I'm just demonstrating my ignorance. I'll give that a go.

I've just bought Flexraid by the way. Keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:52:58 am by flaca »

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »
Hello Flaca and Brahim,

As you can see here: http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php?action=post;topic=265.15;last_msg=5483,
I'm stuck for the moment to make a complete tutorial (with screen captures  ;) ) for OMV.
So, I wait for a solution and test for the moment in a VirtualBox the bests solutions on OMV (easyest to install and maintain).

@Brahim: the tests increase the license's count activation; Could this lock my license in the future?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 02:27:03 pm by beut »
Lian Li PC-Q25 | Intel DQ64 MB | i5 2400s | 8 Gb RAM | 1 SSD for OMV | 6 x 2Tb HDD with FlexRAID

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 02:25:53 pm »
@ Flaca:

- create a new user in OpenMediaVault for FlexRAID JUST THROUGH OMV GUI I PRESUME yep, but you will have to add it to the fuse group
- install default-jre USING APT-GET INSTALL OR APTITUDE? apt-get, because it's used by OMV and it's better to preserve the same package manager
- install fuse-utils
- install ia32-libs
- made /home/"username"/flexraid directory and chmod o+w on it I THINK I GET THIS, MKDIR [DIRECTORY NAME] THEN CHMOD [DIRECTORY NAME] o+w? exactly
- add "username" to fuse group NOW I'M STUCK! fuse will appears in "users" OMV UI, if you click on edit for one user, or better, like I've done: usermod -g fuse username
- uncomment "user_allow_other" in /etc/fuse.conf NANO /ETC/FUSE.CONF AND REMOVE # BEFORE USER_ALLOW_OTHER?  Yes!
- make executable and run Flexraid.bin in  /home/"username"/flexraid STUCK AGAIN, HELP PLEASE  chmod a+x Flexraid.bin in first, followed by ./Flexraid.bin
- chmod o=rx on  /home/"username"/flexraid CHMOD [DIRECTORY NAME] o=rx? found on some tutorial on Ubuntu and not really necessary if your user is fuse member and fuse have RWX rights on the directory
- cd /home/"username"/flexraid and type ./FlexRAID EASY

Lian Li PC-Q25 | Intel DQ64 MB | i5 2400s | 8 Gb RAM | 1 SSD for OMV | 6 x 2Tb HDD with FlexRAID

Offline 454redhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:50 pm »
What is the benefits having FR under OMV ?

Traditional RAID is not near as versatile. Hence the name FlexRAID (Flexible Raid).
In traditional raid you data is held hostage to a proprietary file system format.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/openmediavault/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=368&start=10

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 02:17:01 am »
Thanks beut, I'm planning to install at the weekend. Can I check please, do you have everything working satisfactorily now? Were you able to get an OMV GUI plugin working? I followed the threads in the Linux forum but I couldn't tell if you had fixed everything.

Many thanks.
Scott

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 02:57:20 pm »
@Scott

Hello,
I encounter issues at reboot, so i will reinstall this week end and hope good news.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:43 pm »
@Scott

Hello,
I encounter issues at reboot, so i will reinstall this week end and hope good news.

Licensing issues were resolved in 2.0 update 5.
There will be a release tomorrow with support for trial licensing.
Use the trial license if you want to test FlexRAID in different systems.

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 02:14:14 am »
OK great, thanks beut. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 04:50:38 pm »
Traditional RAID is not near as versatile. Hence the name FlexRAID (Flexible Raid).
In traditional raid you data is held hostage to a proprietary file system format.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/openmediavault/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=368&start=10

Thanks, I know what is RAID and what is difference between Raid and FR. I can't understand why you need OMV if you are installing FR ? or f.e how you guys share FR pool from OMV web ?

Offline 454redhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:57 pm »
I can't understand why you need OMV if you are installing FR ?

I dont think you quite understand the concept of OMV. Its a COMPLETE interface for a SERVER, not just RAID. RAID is not even a requirement to use OMV.

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 04:36:39 pm »
@Brahim:
That's a good news for me to have the trial function now.

@Others:
I need to test in a VirtualBox for the last realease (0.3) on OMV, which is only x64.
So, I will give you feed back as soon as possible, when I will be back to home, next week.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 04:55:52 pm »
@beut
Looking forward to it.
I actually have in interest in OMV as a potential user. :)