Author Topic: Support for OpenMediaVault  (Read 46430 times)

Offline R27

• View Profile
Re: Support for OpenMediaVault
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2012, 12:27:28 pm »
I dont think you quite understand the concept of OMV. Its a COMPLETE interface for a SERVER, not just RAID. RAID is not even a requirement to use OMV.

Ok, could you please explain me how do you use that COMPLETE SERVER interface to share FR Pool?

Offline 454redhawk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 11:26:41 pm »
Ok, could you please explain me how do you use that COMPLETE SERVER interface to share FR Pool?

Uh..... Why are you trying to use OMV to control FR?

Its like asking your car to drive you to work on the rail road tracks.

They are completely independent and serve entirely different functions. One is a comprehensive server interface and the other is Raid+Pool.

Maybe some day someone will integrate the two but thats not part of the OMV project plan AFAIK.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2012, 02:31:41 am »
OMV and FlexRAID can be complementary for certain deployment scenario.
This is similar to FlexRAID on WHS when FlexRAID on Win7 does the job.

So yeah, FlexRAID on a based Ubuntu or other Linux distros will work for most, but a solution like OMV + FlexRAID does have some added benefits depending on the user.

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 04:49:51 am »
Yes - my deployment scenario is a good example. Or rather me as the deployer!

OMV gives the media server functionality I need with an easy-to-use GUI. The plugins to OMV written by various good people allow me to access other functionality through the OMV interface, which makes things nice and easy and keeps everything in one place. At present OMV uses (I believe) standard mdadm raid, which is fine as far as it goes. Flexraid is obviously much more flexible. So for me, Flexraid accessible through the OMV GUI will be the best of all worlds. It would be a very elegant and flexible solution I think.

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2012, 03:36:03 pm »
Uh..... Why are you trying to use OMV to control FR?

Its like asking your car to drive you to work on the rail road tracks.

They are completely independent and serve entirely different functions. One is a comprehensive server interface and the other is Raid+Pool.

Maybe some day someone will integrate the two but thats not part of the OMV project plan AFAIK.

I am not trying to use OMV to control anything, I use ubuntu server with cl :)

But, just for fun, I installed omv on my lab machine last night and ended up with pretty good server.

For Pool I used hddfs, but FR will work the same. sharing pooled folder can be done from OMV interface, but requires some steps.

Complete server has the following packages installed/configured - OMV+mhddfs + snapraid or FLEXRAID, CrashPlan - backup server, Rsync server - backup mac hosts, PlexMediaServer - stream media to iOS, ATV. Tested smb, nfs and afp shares. Smb and nfs work fine for streaming 1080p movies to my HTPC.

OMV is good, but I don't like GUI :) 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:40:19 pm by R27 »

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 07:58:07 am »
Hi everybody  ;) !

Here is my final tutorial to use FlexRAID under OMV 0.2.7 (0.3 is beta) x32 or x64.
Exemple is done with 3 HDD, 2 DRu and 1 PPU.
There no plugin to configure FlexRAID under OMV GUI and no need of it; All can be done through FlexRAID WebUI:

install OMV,

In OMV GUI
- use System / Update manager to update your OS,
- in Service /SSH, enable SSH,
- in Storage / Filesystems, format and label your HDDs BUT DON'T MOUNT THEM! (ext4 and labels DATA1, DATA2, PARITY1 for me); OMV mounting options may cause issues with FlexRAID (after reboot, HDD in storage Pool don't have the good size).

Connect through SSH (Putty, Kitty) to your OMV server under "root" account :
- type "apt-get update"
- do "apt-get install default-jre fuse-utils ia32-libs"; ia32-libs is only for x64 OMV version,
- do "cd /media" and "mkdir DATA1 DATA2 PARITY1" (1 directory for each HDD used under FlexRAID).
- do "nano /etc/fstab" and add this after "# >>> [openmediavault]" comment:
LABEL=DATA1     /media/DATA1      ext4      defaults,relatime    0       2
LABEL=DATA2     /media/DATA2      ext4      defaults,relatime    0       2
LABEL=PARITY1  /media/PARITY1    ext4      defaults,relatime    0       2
# <<< [openmediavault]
"
Save it by CTRL+X.
- do "nano /etc/fuse.conf" and uncomment "User_allow_other"
- do "chmod g+w  /etc/fuse.conf"
- do "nano /etc/sudoers" and under "# User privilege specification" add the following lines:
root         ALL= (ALL) ALL (allready exists)
flexraid    ALL= (ALL) ALL (the username I choose for FlexRAID session under OMV)"
Save it by CTRL+X.
Reboot.

In OMV GUI
- in Storage / Filesystems, you can see your mounted volumes,
- in Access Right management / User, create a new user (called "flexraid" for me), Home Directory = Default, Shell = /bin/bash, groups "SSH and "users". If you do this by SSH with "adduser" or "useradd" commands, you won't be able to see your user in OMV Access right management interface.

Connect through SSH (Putty, Kitty) to your OMV server under "flexraid" account :
- do "sudo usemod -G fuse flexraid" to add  "flexraid" user to Fuse group (Fuse group doesn't appear in OMV UI),
- same thing for "root" user account,
- do "cd /media"
- do "sudo chown -R flexraid:fuse DATA1 DATA2 PARITY1" to make FlexRAID owner of mounted volumes,
- do "sudo chmod -R g+w DATA1 DATA2 PARITY1" to give writing rights to Fuse group on mounted volumes,
- do "cd" to go back to flexraid home directory,
- do "mkdir FlexRAID" to create FlexRAID installation directory in /home/flexraid (better for right management issues),
- do "wget flexraid.bin_download_url" (FlexRAID.bin is just an exemple and needs to be replaced with the real downloaded filename),
- after donwload completion and hash control (you will need to install md5sum under OMV), make Flexraid.bin executable by typing "chmod a+x FlexRAID.bin",
- run it by "./FlexRAID.bin",
- change install path if you want (I prefer keeping default one by pressing ENTER),
- DON'T CHANGE Fuse librairies with symbolic links, like on Ubuntu, because "Fuse-utils" packet under debian doesn't have" ulockmgr_server". Use native Fuse librairies in FlexRAID.
Reboot.

Connect through SSH (Putty, Kitty) to your OMV server under "flexraid" account :
- launch FlexRAID ("cd /FlexRAID/Openegg/FlexRAID-2.0/" and "./FlexRAID")
It's possible with scripts used for Ubuntu or Zyental to force FlexRAID running at boot.
It's possible too to login with "flexraid" user at boot as for Ubuntu or Debian (Google: "autologin linux console mode").
YOU CAN'T RUN FLEXRAID with OMV UI USER ("admin"); You need to start a local session on physical OMV server with "flexraid" user.

Connect to FlexRAID with WebUI :
- Import your license key
- enter sudo password ("flexraid" user password) in System Control Panel.
- create your pool, your Raid and enjoy  ;D !

Bye.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:37:28 pm by beut »
Lian Li PC-Q25 | Intel DQ64 MB | i5 2400s | 8 Gb RAM | 1 SSD for OMV | 6 x 2Tb HDD with FlexRAID

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 09:06:52 am »
@beut
Awesome! :)

1. You can add images by attaching them. See "Attachments and other options".

2. Better yet, you might want to add that to the wiki (http://wiki.flexraid.com)

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 09:14:34 am »
@Brahim

Thanks  ;).
For pictures, I will do it this evening.
I wasn't sure that attachments will allowed me to insert images exactly where I want in the text.

And for the Wiki, I prefer let you do it, because I'm not keen on this practices...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:29:08 am by beut »
Lian Li PC-Q25 | Intel DQ64 MB | i5 2400s | 8 Gb RAM | 1 SSD for OMV | 6 x 2Tb HDD with FlexRAID

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 10:27:35 am »
Sure. If you want, you can put it in a word document and I will transfer that onto the wiki.

To place images exactly where you want, it would be a two step process. First attach the images and post. Then get the URL of the attachment and use that with the image tag.

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:44 am »
@Brahim

Document done and joined.
I prefer that you read it before publication on the Wiki.
You're totally free to modify / complete it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:35:20 am by beut »

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:27 pm »
beut

how do you share plexraid pool ?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 03:02:08 pm »
@Brahim

Document done and joined.
I prefer that you read it before publication on the Wiki.
You're totally free to modify / complete it.

Ok.
Question: What is idem? (In, "idem for "root" user account")

Transferred the content to the wiki: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2012/04/30/installing-flexraid-on-openmediavault-omv/
Let me know if I missed anything.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:32:58 pm by Brahim »

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »
@R27
Share is the same as on linux systems, no differences.
You can use other Linux tutorials for this.
OMV is just an excellent WebUI for Debian.

@Brahim
Sorry for "idem", latin term which means "same thing".
And the thread on the Wiki is really well done  ;) Thanks !
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:44:59 pm by beut »

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 06:11:27 pm »
ok, let me share my quick steps to how setup FR Pool under OMV

login to omv ssh root@ip

1. apt-get install ia32-libs
2. mkdir /var/lib/flexraid
3. wget http://download.openegg.org/release/FlexRAID/Linux/2.0/FlexRAID-2.0-Final_u6.bin
4. chmod a+x FlexRAID-2.0-Final_u6.bin
5. ./FlexRAID-2.0-Public-Beta6.bin
6. install to /var/lib/flexraid
7.chmod o=rx /var/lib/flexraid
8. cd /var/lib/flexraid
9. ./FlexRaid

we done with FR no other steps required using CL.

10. Open OMV web & go to shared folders
11. Create share in your parity/backup folder
12. Set Privileges - nobody=read/write
13. Login to FR GUI - IP:8080
14. Add New Configuration > Expert > Storage Pool only
15. Open create configuration > Run Time Properties  add volumes f.e /media/hd1; /media/hd2 ...
16. Advanced Option Grant access to Root - true , same for others. - SAVE
17. Storage Pool Merge Config.... > Mount Point use path to share created in step 11 f.e /media/parity/Pool - Save & Publish
18. Go back to OMV gui and share it using smb, nfs or afp.

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 03:17:37 pm »
@R27

Your method is good with use of all OMV UI capabilities  but you use root account, that I prefer avoid.
Do you encounter the same issue as me with OMV mounting options: after reboot, each HDD member of the storage pool (cruise control mode) will not have his normal size but exactly the same size as the system disk.
With my method and sudo account, I can't use OMV Ui to create a share, I need to do it with linux console (mkdir on the disk, access and share through FlexRAID UI). That's boring.
It's due to Storage Pooling in cruise control mode.

@Brahim
For those reasons, I don't think now that my tutorial is good enough.
We don't use normally all OMV functions.
Do you have an idea to improve my method and avoid bad HDD sizes with cruise control and OMV mounting options?
If not, it's better to modify my tutorial with expert mode and no cruise control, like R27.

My goal will be to use RT raid on OMV, with sudo account and all OMV UI capabilities (Shares...).

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:54:32 pm by beut »