Author Topic: Support for OpenMediaVault  (Read 55634 times)

Offline beut

• View Profile
Re: Support for OpenMediaVault
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 03:54:05 pm »
Well,

I'm despited... :'(
No way to make Cruise control working with OMV, under Root or sudo account.

Actions in OMV gui (add a share....) are sent to scripts in /var/lib, which are done as "root" user.
So, changing owner and rights on OMV HDD mounted folders in /media is not a good thing.
At any moment, you can loose FlexRAID pool or OMV gui capabilities on disks or shares.

So, it seems that R27 method is the only way to use FlexRAID under OMV: under "root" account and only "expert mode".
My tutorial and article on wiki are just good to go to trash.

I won't waste enough time on this issue because my Server needs to be in production this week (personnal and professional needs).
So, bye, bye FlexRAID under OMV for me.

Sorry  :-\

Lian Li PC-Q25 | Intel DQ64 MB | i5 2400s | 8 Gb RAM | 1 SSD for OMV | 6 x 2Tb HDD with FlexRAID

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 06:47:08 pm »
FlexRAID's mounting options can be edited in <install root>\etc\mount-extra-params.txt.
Similarly, the dismounting options are in <install root>\etc\unmount-extra-params.txt (blank by default).

In fact you can define the options per drive.
The default for FlexRAID is '*=-o rw,nosuid,nodev", which is applied to all drives. However, you could specify it per device (/dev/sda1=-o rw,nosuid,nodev).

So, if OMV needs different options, change the FlexRAID match OMV.

I am still not getting why the default OMV options are still an issue for FlexRAID.
If you want, install Teamviewer on a Linux or Windows box and let have a session so I have a better understanding of the challenge at hand.
For some reason, I have a feeling that it will be trial to resolve.

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:51 am »
Hi beut,

Please don't give up! I appreciate how annoying this must be, but it really would be good to have a solution. Brahim's offer is a good one. Do let me know if I can help.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 07:25:24 am »
@Brahim,

install OMV in some VirtualBox and you will see why  ;):
- hard disks mounting points in /media are owned by root:root. But, to see these mounting points in FlexRAID, you have to change the owner to sudo user:fuse.
- If you do this, OMV can't create any share on the volumes, because the volumes need to belong to root:root to have the creating script working.
- OMV fstab mouting option use quotas and extended attributes; all is drived by root:root, so if you change the mounting points owner to sudo user:fuse, you lost OMV capabilities on quotas.

@Brahim and Flaca:

Teamviewer is a good idea but too late for me; As I've said before, I no longer use FlexRAID on OMV because I really needed quickly a "non root" user (remote access)  storage solution and "reliable" for a large amount of datas.
I've made the lasts tests in a VirtualBox, like anyone could do.

I don't have enough time to create (as in past) a Linux storage solution with FlexRAID, like Debian or Mint or Ubuntu + FTP + samba + nut + ssh + nfs + webadmin...
From my personnal experience, it takes a lot of time and energy to install and set good parameters.
That's why I've focused on OMV, which is a reliable all in one storage solution, easy to set and quickly production usable.
I know quite well mdam to set it reliable, so Linux raid 5 + externals backups are enough for me.

Like Brahim said, it could be trivial to make Flexraid working with OMV in Cruise control mode, under a SUDO account.
But not for me.
And I dont want to lost OMV functionalites or put it in an "instable" state by changing OMV parameters (rights on mounted points, fstab, groups, scripts effects....).

So, If someone wants to take the lead...
Or use R27 advices: root account and expert mode.
Lian Li PC-Q25 | Intel DQ64 MB | i5 2400s | 8 Gb RAM | 1 SSD for OMV | 6 x 2Tb HDD with FlexRAID

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 07:30:39 am »
I am working on this issue, already have some improvements. Will keep you posted.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2012, 09:55:42 am »
@beut
Fair enough.
The part that still evades me is why you want OMV to have anything to do with the source drives?
The only thing you should concern yourself with is whether OMV can make use of the pool. The pool has options to allow root and other users.
So, I would think you would want OMV to completely off hand the source drives and only manage the pool.

So:
- OMV can do the initial formatting, but FlexRAID should take over the mounting, or you should format and mount using the "flexraid" user session
- OMV should only create shares on the pool and be oblivious of the source drives
- If needed, set the FlexRAID pool to allow root and allow others

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 11:56:40 am »
@Brahim:

If OMV can see FlexRAID as a hard drive volume (like RAID or LVM volume) with root access on it, so it will be able to use it as usual, with all functionalities.
I understand that you don't think there's some real issue.
But you haven't tried on OMV to explain why and, as I said before, I not a Linux expert to solve it. And I don't have enough time to spend on it, like you.
I don't know well FlexRAID management too.
So, I can't give any answer to your questions  :-[.

But, good news, R27 is working on it and he is surely far better on Linux than me  ;)
So, I will wait for his elements to find what I missed and why I was unable to solve the issues.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:02:10 pm by beut »

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2012, 02:05:21 pm »
@Brahim:

If OMV can see FlexRAID as a hard drive volume (like RAID or LVM volume) with root access on it, so it will be able to use it as usual, with all functionalities.
I understand that you don't think there's some real issue.
But you haven't tried on OMV to explain why and, as I said before, I not a Linux expert to solve it. And I don't have enough time to spend on it, like you.
I don't know well FlexRAID management too.
So, I can't give any answer to your questions  :-[.

But, good news, R27 is working on it and he is surely far better on Linux than me  ;)
So, I will wait for his elements to find what I missed and why I was unable to solve the issues.

Quick question, what "functionalites" r u looking for ?

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2012, 02:30:42 pm »
@R27

With OMV GUI or FlexRAID, I need to:
- use a restricted (sudo) account for all operations,
- create "Shares"which are not network shares but directories with extended access rights (acl) for  users and groups GUI and quotas,
- share this "shares" with OMV FTP server or NFS server or Samba,
- see smart infos on HDD,
- use Realtime Raid, so Cruise control mode, not Expert one.

Thanks.

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2012, 02:44:45 pm »
@R27

With OMV GUI or FlexRAID, I need to:
- use a restricted (sudo) account for all operations,
- create "Shares"which are not network shares but directories with extended access rights (acl) for  users and groups GUI and quotas,
- share this "shares" with OMV FTP server or NFS server or Samba,
- see smart infos on HDD,
- use Realtime Raid, so Cruise control mode, not Expert one.

Thanks.

Then good news for you :) we can do it. BUT
1. when you say all operations what do you mean ? start and stop FR ? if yes then, you don't need special account to do that. FR will auto start on boot.
2. You can use OMV access rights, create users for shared folder. But ACL will not work. Brahim probably will explain it better, because FR based on Fuse...
3. not a problem
4. should work, but I can't test it right now because I use VM
5. Tested Cruise Control, works fine. Restored files, replaced hdd and etc.

Offline beut

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2012, 03:13:51 pm »
 ;D Yepee !!!

That will be enough for me and I think for everyone who wants to use FlexRAID on OMV.
When I say sudo account for all operations, it's just starting FR at boot with a non root session opened on server, if login is necessary.
I really need a fine tuning on rights so if I can't do it with Fuse, I will just have to look to another way to do it (I've already an idea for it).

So, "my hero"  ;), step by step ("newbie" like), how can I:
- Install FlexRAID to allow it to see HHD (rights on folders, mounting options...),
- create a storage pool with 4 HHD (same size) under cruise control and Raid Tx or RT raid (3DRU 1 PPU),
- use it in OMV to create my directories on it,
- apply rights policies on it and shares (ftp, samba, nfs),
- autorun FR at boot without login with root account.

Thanks a lot  ;D

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2012, 03:21:23 pm »
;D Yepee !!!

That will be enough for me and I think for everyone who wants to use FlexRAID on OMV.
When I say sudo account for all operations, it's just starting FR at boot with a non root session opened on server, if login is necessary.
I really need a fine tuning on rights so if I can't do it with Fuse, I will just have to look to another way to do it (I've already an idea for it).

So, "my hero"  ;), step by step ("newbie" like), how can I:
- Install FlexRAID to allow it to see HHD (rights on folders, mounting options...),
- create a storage pool with 4 HHD (same size) under cruise control and Raid Tx or RT raid (3DRU 1 PPU),
- use it in OMV to create my directories on it,
- apply rights policies on it and shares (ftp, samba, nfs),
- autorun FR at boot without login with root account.

Thanks a lot  ;D

I'll post guide later. Right know I can't fully test auto start because there is an issue with trial activation - reactivation required after reboot. Brahim promised to fix it soon :)

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:17 pm »
Brahim thanks for an update, activation issue was fixed.

Setup tested, works fine. Will post guide soon.

Offline R27

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 07:46:16 pm »
Sorry guys, I had an issue with nfs shares/mounts. Had to troubleshoot and script some changes. Will be back soon

Offline flaca

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2012, 03:53:21 am »
Great to hear R27, glad we are nearly there everyone. Thanks beut for following this through, and for ensuring it's suitable for a noob like me! R27 if you can post the guide by tomorrow that would be perfect, as I will have time over the weekend to install...

Note that the OMV 0.3 beta is quite well advanced (beta 10 or something now I think) so probably due for release fairly soon. I don't know if 0.3 contains any changes that affects the Flexraid setup.

Cheers,
Scott