Author Topic: ability to interrupt create and resume at a later time  (Read 1817 times)

Offline gojirasan

• View Profile
ability to interrupt create and resume at a later time
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:12:48 am »
Unlike Snapraid, Flexraid doesn't seem to have a resume feature. Pause doesn't survive reboots. So it's of limited value. I have to leave my machine running in a single OS for at least 50 hours to create a snapshot. That isn't easy to do. I find myself having to build a second computer to actually use while Flexraid works undisturbed. This is less than ideal and Snapraid is clearly superior in this regard. So why be second best? Please implement a robust resume feature as soon as possible. I cannot think of any function that is more important for software like this.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ability to interrupt create and resume at a later time
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:15 am »
1. You can resume a RAID initialization in between reboots if you properly abort it (if the task has not aborted by error'ing out).
So, you can pause and resume a task in a single session (if you don't reboot) as well as resume a RAID initialization in between reboots if user aborted.
I think you are confusing the fact that you cannot resume other tasks in between reboots (as there is no such need) with not being able to resume an initialization.
So, the Pause/Resume actions apply to a single session. Use Abort if you wish to continue the initialization after reboot.

2. That said, if your computer needs multiple reboots in a between a RAID initialization, then you need to revisit your setup. ;)
Initialization is a one time cost. If you cannot pay that cost in a single session, then you are a poor candidate for Snapshot RAID to start with. Consider Transparent RAID where you can do Range Verify & Sync for partial and progressive background initialization.

Offline gojirasan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 06:26:50 pm »
Actually I did abort and try to resume without success. I guess this might be more of a bug report then. Sorry about that. I just assumed the feature wasn't there. I reformated all the parity drives since the last failed attempt. I will try to resume once again and report back. I think maybe the first time I paused and then aborted. This time I went directly to abort. Maybe that will make a difference.

To avoid confusion the task I was aborting was Create. I assume that's what you mean by initialization. Create, Abort, Resume Failed Create. That's the sequence I have been attempting without success so far. I don't have a problem with the 50 hour time period. As you say it is a one time cost. It's not something you have to do very often. It's still difficult though particularly if you cannot interrupt the process for a reboot without starting from the beginning again.

Offline mark_anderson_us

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 03:32:02 pm »
My init failed after building new config. Resume doesn't seem to be doing anything but it's the only option in the dialog.. how do I get it to abort and restart from scratch