Author Topic: tRAID Broker Service Crashes  (Read 3804 times)

Offline steve-jarrell

• View Profile
Re: tRAID Broker Service Crashes
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 08:34:07 am »
For anyone following this thread, there is no resolution. Brahim notified me quite a while ago that he could not process the procdump I sent him because it was too large. Based on what I had read in the forum, I thought that was what he needed and went to quite a bit of trouble to get it. It is very large, and I had to set up a new account to get enough free space to post it for him. Brahim said he needed the minidump instead. I checked everywhere I know to check, and I cannot see that I am getting a minidump. As I told Brahim, I am not expert in these matters, and I asked for advice as to how I could insure that a minidump would be taken. I also told him that I do have a recovery procedure in place to restart the broker service and notify me via email when it crashes. Perhaps the procedure prevents the minidump. I have had no further response from Brahim. If anyone else has a minidump for this, please send it to Brahim. This has been going on for several months and still fails every few days. Obviously, I have spent a lot of time on this, and it would be great to get a resolution. I can't speak to why there is no follow-up.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 03:42:32 pm »
 ???

Setting Windows to capture a mini-dump is rather well documented. See Configure the dump type @ https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315263

Offline cameronwmckay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 05:27:25 am »
Brahim,

Unfortunately I have followed the process given in that link and my system, which is Windows 2012 R2, does not generate a minidump when the service crashes.  I will try to keep looking to see if I can get it to force a minidump to be written.

Offline steve-jarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 07:07:36 am »
You're right Brahim. There is a lot of documentation about minidumps, and I have been through much of it, including many entries where people question why it isn't working for them. My system is Windows 10, and my settings have always been as described in the article you sent, except that automatic restart is not set, with the dump location set to the Minidump directory under the system root directory. Unfortunately, when I look there, these is not even a directory by that name. I am open to ideas about what else to do.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 09:39:32 am »
This is quite strange honestly. First I am hearing of some Windows installations not being able to create minidumps.
However, I guess it is common enough to be documented here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/130536
Check that article to see if any of the listed causes apply.

Offline steve-jarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 05:47:09 pm »
I had seen that article but went through the list again. The only one that seems possible for me is the last one. As I said, there is no Minidump directory under the root directory, so perhaps I have to preallocate it. It seems pretty odd that Windows wouldn't create the directory to which it defaults for these dumps, but I will create it and see if that makes a difference.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 08:20:55 am »
The missing folder being the likely culprit makes sense. Also, make sure the permissions on it aren't too restrictive.

Offline steve-jarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 03:38:24 pm »
Well, I set up the directory and gave everyone full access. I had a crash this morning and still no dump. Back to the drawing board.

Offline steve-jarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 09:47:20 am »
I turned off my Brokerage Service recovery procedure yesterday. If that doesn't solve the missing minidump problem, I have no idea what to try next.

Offline steve-jarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 08:56:08 am »
OK, I had another crash with the Minidump folder allocated and accessible to everyone and with no recovery procedure turned on. Still no dump. As much as I would like to get this annoying problem fixed, I don't know where to go from here. I have no idea why the dump is not taken, and I don't know what else to give Brahim to get this fixed. I am open to ideas. Brahim, it would be nice to have a way to restart the storage pool automatically after a failure of this type. I can easily automatically restart the Broker service, but I still have to manually intervene to restart the pool.

Offline steve-jarrell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 08:28:52 am »
Brahim,

Since I have tRAID configured to automatically start the storage pool when it comes up, shouldn't restarting that Broker Service also restart the storage pool? If you would fix that, then we could at least automatically restart everything.