Author Topic: Grrrr! Killed my box trying to upgrading it...  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Grrrr! Killed my box trying to upgrading it...
« on: November 25, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »
I really hate computers sometime.
I had a trusted box that had been running for four years that just died when I powered it down to upgrade its controller card.
Not sure if it is the PSU or mobo, but I just don't have the time to play with hardware right now.
I likely killed it with static electricity.  :-[

Offline jamohamo

• View Profile
Re: Grrrr! Killed my box trying to upgrading it...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:58:39 pm »
I sympathise, I really do.
I had the same thing happen with my media PC. It was running fine and then just thought I'd reboot it because the video ran smoother after a reboot. Next thing I know BSOD. it was not update related as far as I could tell. I tried and tried to fix it but I think something must have finally gone wrong with the motherboard. I was originally told it had a motherboard problem but it worked for me for 2 years so I can't complain.

Offline Tolyngee

• View Profile
Re: Grrrr! Killed my box trying to upgrading it...
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:17:29 pm »
My examples are one reason I finally got tRAID:

USB drive, running flawlessly for several months.  No signs of a problem whatsoever.  Unplug it SOLELY to move it two feet across the desk...
and it never powers back up again.  While it wasn't unique data so not a loss, I still didn't even have a directory of what I was now missing.

Just this holiday, two USB drives, same model, etc.  backup 3TB of the same data to each.  Get my tRAID going, and...
One drive's dead just trying to access it to get the data onto the tRAID.  The other drive dies barely after getting all of its data off onto the tRAID.
Oddly enough, both HGST drives.

I now have SE3016 cases, and plan to use quality internal drives.  My experience is that USB drives will flake out on you with no warning.  (sometimes I wonder just how cheap their power bricks and other adapters are)

Lastly, 16 months ago I had an apparent lightning strike take out a gaming rig mobo...  but not affect anything else at all.  And yes, it was on a UPS.  Bright flash outside, computer turned off, never turned back on.  Nothing else damaged, but mobo was toast.