Author Topic: Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) is same as Raid F ?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) is same as Raid F ?
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »
Hello

Is Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™)  is same as FlexRaid RAID-F ??

I am not sure which one to get to be honest i need drive pool and Parity data protections but because i add so much data to my drives i wonder if tRaid is way to go

Please advise

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
Re: Transparent RAID™ (tRAID™) is same as Raid F ?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:03:55 am »
Hello

I saw that but i am asking because Raid F with pirty drive and one pool is not working for me so mybe i can try T raid
that why i ask simple question

Does T Raid have Pairty drive protections and Pooling just Like F-Raid

Thanks

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:09:24 am »
Hello

I guess this what i was looking for
http://www.flexraid.com/faq-items/transparent-raid-vs-raid-over-file-system/

but again i have so many questions that not been answered yet

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:36 am »
Hello

I saw that but i am asking because Raid F with pirty drive and one pool is not working for me so mybe i can try T raid
that why i ask simple question

Does T Raid have Pairty drive protections and Pooling just Like F-Raid

Thanks

Yes tRAID has parity protection and storage pooling, as provided by the links above. It is currently limited to 2 parity disks whereas RAID-F has no such restriction.

If you are looking at using Real Time mode, seriously consider tRAID over RAID-F, but once again, this is down to your usage scenario.

You haven't really asked any questions.

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:30 pm »
Yes tRAID has parity protection and storage pooling, as provided by the links above. It is currently limited to 2 parity disks whereas RAID-F has no such restriction.

If you are looking at using Real Time mode, seriously consider tRAID over RAID-F, but once again, this is down to your usage scenario.

You haven't really asked any questions.

terrastrife where you been for past 3 days lol :) i am using F-Raid Combo right now and it is building at 28 % but you actually answer my questions

I dont care about so many parity drive , if i go with Real time raid then i will use 1 or 2 Parity and rest data , for real backup i will use Crush plan online cloud backup , Parity is only for some peace of mind if a drive fail so it will rebuild it.

at this moment i will give F Raid a chance as it is 59.95 and it is in my budget

Thank you very much , feel good when advance user help a new user withought make them feel stupied , Your rock :)

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 01:23:51 pm »
I'm actually a new user, however I have been keeping an eye on FlexRAID for a long time.
If you check your consumer portal, there may be a discount for tRAID, and I am sure Brahim might even refund you the cost of RAID-F if you didn't purchase it too long ago as he did for me, excellent customer service.

The one major difference between tRAID and Real Time RAID-F that is make or break for me, is with tRAID I have access to each individual disk which I now have as NTFS mount points makes arranging files much easier.

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 02:51:50 pm »
I'm actually a new user, however I have been keeping an eye on FlexRAID for a long time.
If you check your consumer portal, there may be a discount for tRAID, and I am sure Brahim might even refund you the cost of RAID-F if you didn't purchase it too long ago as he did for me, excellent customer service.

The one major difference between tRAID and Real Time RAID-F that is make or break for me, is with tRAID I have access to each individual disk which I now have as NTFS mount points makes arranging files much easier.

Hi i did not buy F Raid yet still on trial , my fourth day trying F-Raid so i am all about the new stuff but i am still learning
You are right what i need is easy to manage directory as i am going to be using Media Browser3 and plex and real time access files and 1 parity protections and one pool of all drives rest is online backup with crsuh plan , very simple needs. You actually made it easier for me to understand tRaid vs other users make biggners look stupied so thank you for that

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 02:54:12 pm »
Airbander please relax with the flood of questions.
Questions are good, but you seem to ignore suggestions to do your own reading first.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.