Author Topic: How long it takes for Parity to build ?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
How long it takes for Parity to build ?
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:32:51 pm »
Hello

Just a simple questions how long does it take for parity to build on:

1 kb ?
1Mb ?
1GB ?
10GB ?
100 GB
1 TB?

and finally

27 TB ??

I am running into so much issue with building parity at this moment
the process start at 0% and then it goes to 1% after 8 hours and stay their and then either the pc fails and restart by it self or raid wont complete or if it complete the box of status only show process scan but not metadata info

at this moment i put 2TB with free 400 GB and one 4TB parity and started the raid but i get error

Please someone advise here

Thanks

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
Re: How long it takes for Parity to build ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:26:14 am »
Every disk is read parallel, so as long as you don't have a bus or controller performance issue, the difference between two disks and 20 disks is negligible.
An array with a 4TB parity is about 12 hours, give or take a few.

Sounds like you have other issues. Did you do as requested?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:33:10 am »
Every disk is read parallel, so as long as you don't have a bus or controller performance issue, the difference between two disks and 20 disks is negligible.

+1

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 12:03:41 pm »
Hello

Thanks you answered my question

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:47:48 pm »

Hi,
sound about right
mine is hitting longer then that but again i am useing San Digital 8 bay NAS with e-sata and sata control card RR642L
and most of my drives are Green but they are all new but full of data so between NAS and my pc there will be some time lost at this moment i see the speed at 24.05 or something like that

Thanks

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 02:59:06 pm »
Airbander please relax with the flood of questions.
Questions are good, but you seem to ignore suggestions to do your own reading first.

And no, your question did not get answered. You see parity building is 100% dependent on your own setup with factors:
- Types of disks.
- Sizes of disks (not all disks need to be the same and before you ask, PPU needs to be same size or larger as largest DRU).
- Type of bus used by disks.
- How many disks share buses (esp. IDE), or controller IC.
- CPU/RAM (and before someone even Brahim says  that this is not the case, trust me, a system running SAP in production, WILL suffer).
- Bottlenecks.

...so no, 4TB parity, in 12 hours is ok for some systems. Slow for some, way fast for others.

I won't lock this thread though, as it is maybe the only of the four that makes sense and people can contribute.

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline Airbander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
Airbander please relax with the flood of questions.
Questions are good, but you seem to ignore suggestions to do your own reading first.

And no, your question did not get answered. You see parity building is 100% dependent on your own setup with factors:
- Types of disks.
- Sizes of disks (not all disks need to be the same and before you ask, PPU needs to be same size or larger as largest DRU).
- Type of bus used by disks.
- How many disks share buses (esp. IDE), or controller IC.
- CPU/RAM (and before someone even Brahim says  that this is not the case, trust me, a system running SAP in production, WILL suffer).
- Bottlenecks.

...so no, 4TB parity, in 12 hours is ok for some systems. Slow for some, way fast for others.

I won't lock this thread though, as it is maybe the only of the four that makes sense and people can contribute.

NLS, i am not trying to Flood your system , sorry if you feel like that i learn slow and i learn when someone show me stuff TRUST ME i read for days and hours before i posted here. see i been trying to get this thing to work since last Tuesday on my own i posted here only 2 days ago. i mean you can lock this post and remove me from fourm if you like as i feel you already dont like me and you made up your mind about it. all i am trying say is i am trying to figure out thing and i am not self learn type so i learn more by doing thing and if someone show me things once i run into issue.

as far Parity built and time line i dont mind if it takes 1 day or 2 weeks as long it completes and if there was alternative windows software i would use it and you wont have to see me here

Thanks in advance

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:24:39 am »
I don't need to lock you out or anything.
I just keep you in control with the flood of questions that are all (except maybe this one) already in Wiki.

Try to write posts consolidated (when discussing an issue) and to the point.
---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.