Author Topic: Recreating Cruise Control with 2 PPU and FlexRaid crashes while initializing  (Read 1063 times)

Offline af22

• View Profile
I have been using flexraid without problems for over an year.  I have 2 DRU and 1 PPU.  I am trying to add a second PPU and did so by deleting my configuration and creating a new one.

When i click "initialize", I watch the parity computation get to around 23% and get stuck.  When i refresh the website, it is down.  I check the task manager and the FlexRaid.exe process is gone.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall flexraid, same problem occurred on my second attempt to create my pool.

The only thing I can think off that isn't kosher is that my 2 PPU's are external usb 3.0 drives.  I've used one PPU external usb 3.0 fine without issues.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You should always have a DRU count greater than PPU count.
So, you need at least 3 DRU with 2PPU. The fact that the UI is not enforcing that is a bug.

Offline af22

• View Profile
Brahim, on my third attempt the initialize the array it worked!  2DRU and 2PPU.  My intent is to have 3-4DRU with 2PPU, but i plan to install those drives when my pool fills up.  I'm keeping them around as cold spares for now.

In expert mode, i noticed you can define empty DRU's.  I didn't do that for cruise control mode.

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
Doesn't sound like a great idea to me. If you intend to expand the array, you should be using placeholders for those 3rd and 4th DRUs. Otherwise you need to re-create the entire array when adding a DRU. You would be better served creating the array using all of your drives from the start.