Author Topic: Understanding your FlexRAID product support  (Read 45994 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Understanding your FlexRAID product support
« on: December 14, 2013, 07:19:15 pm »
Support with your product purchase
By default, all FlexRAID products come with sales email support and community forum support.
Premium support options are available on a subscription basis. See the main website for detail.

Sales support
You should email "sales at flexraid dot com" for all sales and software activation issues.
Do not email sales on technical issues!
Unless you have a premium support subscription, all technical issues should be posted on the forum. This is also important so that all resolutions are available to all users.

Forum support
Forum support is provided by members of this community and is very much a peer to peer support level. This type of support comes with no contractual obligation as no one is paid for such effort. Even the forum contribution from the FlexRAID staff comes with no obligation. It is done purely as a way to bootstrap the community. Eventually, the community will need to self support with the FlexRAID staff serving purely as moderators. Issues should eventually be logged on Mantis (http://bug.flexraid.com) if forum discussions don't lead to any resolution for the developers to look into.

As such it is very important for users posting issues to:
  • provide clear and sufficiently detailed facts so that others understand the issue in order to provide relevant help. Do not make the mistake of posting as if you are talking the developers.
    If you find your posts not being replied to, it is most likely because you've addressed it to one person and others don't feel addressed and that, that one person is busy with other things. ;) Do not limit yourself to one person. You have a whole community to help you. :)
  • show appreciation to those that are providing help as they are under no obligation to do so.
  • return the favor by helping others.

The importance of premium support
Businesses understand very well the point of support subscriptions. In fact, almost all businesses make sure to purchase a certainly support level with the products they buy.
Home users, on the other hand, find it a strange concept - especially, when support costs are greater than the actual product cost.

Your FlexRAID license is perpetual (does not expire). It is not a subscription that you have to renew. The only way to keep such license cheap is to separate premium support levels from the product purchase. This way, buyers can opt for more affordable support options such as free community forum support.

There is no such thing as a universally bug free software. Build a software, give it to enough people, and you will eventually find someone having issues with it. Even companies with billion of dollar in development budget cannot produce software that is unanimously bug free.
Moreover, most issues don't come because there is an issue with the product. Rather, most issues are compatibility or configuration issues.
Your first issue could be at your first installation of the product, or at your next OS upgrade, new software installation, new driver installation, new hardware, when your hardware starts to break, or when a dormant bug in your product finally surfaces. Regardless, the end result will be that your usage of the product will somewhat disrupted.

Most of the issues will be resolvable through troubleshooting, posting on the forum and asking for help, or opening a bug report which is eventually resolved.

For those where a guaranteed response time and priority issue resolution is important, premium support options are offered.
Businesses cannot afford down times, which is why they choose priority resolution on issues. Home users with similar needs should do likewise and opt for premium support.

Offline MichaelSaucier

• View Profile
Re: Understanding your FlexRAID product support
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 02:27:07 pm »
Hello, I have been using your excellent product for a couple of years and I see just today this quote from you:

"Premium support options are available on a subscription basis. See the main website for detail."

I was unable to find this, can you please provide a link?

I have come to realize that I need this "support lifeline" sometimes and have purchased premium support for all of my mission-critical systems.  flexRAID has now entered this group of technologies for me.

Do you have details and levels?

Thanks! 

Michael Saucier

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:24:43 pm »
You are one of many telling us it is hard finding the information on premium support.  :-[

It is well hidden under a collapsible div.

Offline MichaelSaucier

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 06:30:05 pm »
Thanks for the link, I am heading over there right now to buy something.  Not sure what, but I will buy something immediately.  Love this product!

How about simply adding another link to your e-signature?  That will make it easy for anyone who likes your answer in a post to simply and immediately reward your hard work. 

Even now, with the link in a picture, there is more work for me to go and give you money! My marketing guy says to me all the time -- "make it easy for people to give you what they want to give you, whether it is rants, raves or in this case $$"

Take care.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:32:43 pm by MichaelSaucier »

Offline MichaelSaucier

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:46:58 pm »
OK finally found it and bought a year of support.

Now I ask all of the heavy users on this forum to go and do the same.  You think you could write this software and support it for the fees Brahim charges?  Please.  Think again.  Go and buy.  Don't make me come to your house.

Cheers!

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=itDTxDJMQMbCX2kQJEiPCkqrsag9O5LLKPQsXx6ObPU4crR9h2oUdt8lngG&dispatch=50a222a57771920b6a3d7b606239e4d529b525e0b7e69bf0224adecfb0124e9b61f737ba21b08198a0586321b47f5ae7b54ee269d9200b8b