Author Topic: A "simple" FlexRAID client  (Read 6450 times)

Offline RAPWare

• View Profile
    • RAPWare
A "simple" FlexRAID client
« on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:19 am »
Hi All,

I've uploaded a new version of a Windows based client for FlexRAID.
The purpose of this application is to offer a very simple tool to manage a snapshot RAID based configuration.

Screenshot 1 - Dashboard

Screenshot 2 - Storage Pool

Screenshot 3 - Restore

Download:
http://rapware.home.xs4all.nl/FlexRAID/v3/FlexRAIDManager3121.zip

Version History:
Version 3.0.0.0
- Create/Recreate a Snapshot RAID config
- Verify/Validate/Quick-Validate/Update
- Restore data
- Status
- Missing disk, changed driveletter and reformatted disk detection

Version 3.0.1.0
- Updated to support FlexRAID 2.0u10r2 final
- Removed the compatibility check
- Added Pause, Abort, Resume
- Import existing config on first run

Version 3.1.1.1
- Added Storage Pool support
- Refactored the code responsible for setting the various statusmessages and icons
- Fixed a problem with the restore functionality

Version 3.1.2.1
- Improved Array Status detection
- Enabled selecting storage pool drives in the grids (when the Storage Pool is not started or starting)
- Removed the cancel button from the Storage Pool tab
- Renamed the "Apply" button to "Create"
- Removed the skinning of the main form
- The application did not recognize the Pausing and Resuming states

Limitations:
- The application will only run on the PC/Server where FlexRAID is installed
- Only Snapshot RAID is supported
- No scheduling

Working on and planned for future versions:
- Scheduling support
- URU support
- Advanced settings

Disclaimer
As this application has only be tested on my own test environment I recommend you do not try to use it in a production environment before thoroughly testing it yourself!

Please let me know what you think of it, any bugs you find and what you think I should add/change to improve the application.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:22:09 pm by RAPWare »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A "simple" FlexRAID client
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:16:00 am »
Nice. :)

For all those wishing for a much more intuitive interface than the WebUI, here is your chance.
Essentially, RAPWare is taking a fresh approach to the UI presentation.

This is your chance to tell him what you want and how you want it (everything you wished the WebUI would do that it doesn't). ;)

Offline hopester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:36:16 am »
I'll give it a try when you update it for the latest flexraid version as its locked to the old beta11.

Keep up the good work supporting the community.

Offline RAPWare

• View Profile
    • RAPWare
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:22:59 pm »
I've uploaded a version that is compatible with FlexRAID 2.0 Public Beta13.

Offline tonym

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:41 am »
I too will give it a try... but for me I need version compatible with beta14 (I've deleted my beta13 exe  :-\ )

thx

Offline RAPWare

• View Profile
    • RAPWare
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 05:30:58 am »
I've uploaded a version that is compatible with FlexRAID 2.0 Public Beta14.

Offline tonym

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 10:35:49 am »
Thanks Peter,

I've just run your client against my existing snapshot raid 3x2TB (almost full) DRU + 1x2TB PPU. I'm not sure what I've done, but somehow your client has decided to run a parity update, and it looks like it is performing a full re-build. I didn't want to do this as no data had changed, so I exited your client while it was at 1%. Maybe this was foolish, but from past experience I calculate that a full update would take 15 hours.

But now I appear to have trashed my raid as whenever I run the original client or indeed re-run your client and Quick-validate, I get the following error message:
     An exception has occurred!
     See logs for full message.
     Error message: Invalid file! - O:\flxr.meta
Indeed this file is 0 bytes, so clearly it has been wiped somehow.

I'm inclined to rebuild, so I will still be out for 15 hours; not sure if I can salvage the existing parity blocks (the time stamp on all was reset to when I first launched your client).

Oh dear!

Tony
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:39:29 am by tonym »

Offline tonym

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 05:38:57 am »
Update to my previous post...

So, I re-built my snapshot raid by deleting my old and creating anew. By deleting the config files (including  ..\Application Data\OpenEgg.org\WinGUI\config.xml), logs, formatting the PPU disk, and create new raid. The parity build took only 12hours (not 15 as expected).

And the your (test) FlexRAID client now works.

No idea why it trashed my raid first time round; probably finger trouble by me.

As best as I can remember, when I first ran your windows client, all the command buttons we greyed out. Even though my disks were there and correctly identified as DRUs or PPU. So I highlighted the PPU (already shown as parity) and I flipped the radio buttons to Not assigned and back to Parity. This I think somehow triggered the rebuild/update which I aborted because i) I hadn't changed any data, ii) I didn't want to wait 12 hours, iii) because the command buttons were still greyed out so nothing appeared to have been achieved. It was as if my raid configuration had not been properly recognised.

On a positive note, I like the GUI. A few suggestions/comments:

1. I'd like to see the S.M.A.R.T.  menu.
2. As I write, FR (via your client) is running a Validate. But the Cancel button is greyed out. Why, I might want to abort, and this is a read only function so no harm would be done (ditto Update, but I would expect FR to simply recover).
3. How about a menu to browse the logs (both c:\FlexRAID.log and I guess also your ..\WinGUI\config.xml)
4. I am unable to copy the text (as text) in the message windows (could be useful for cut-and-paste to post an error message)

Thanks for your efforts; please keep developing...

Tony

Offline tonym

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 05:10:18 am »
More feedback/observations...

Been using your Windows client for a couple of days now. I particularly like the way you display dates of last parity update, last integrity check etc. and also the traffic lights. But there is an inconsistency here. The traffic lights go green after an update. Then if you immediately do a quick-validate (and no data has changed) they flip to amber (yes I know really yellow; I'm not actually colour blind).

Screen shot immediately after update...

And now after quick-validate...

It is missleading when it says "data changes detected" - when none has.

I notice that you store last update, veriyfy, etc. dates in your own config files, presumably using the date when last performed via your client. I wonder if this could somehow be more tightly integrated with the FlexRAID server somehow?

Tony

Offline RAPWare

• View Profile
    • RAPWare
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
I notice that you store last update, veriyfy, etc. dates in your own config files, presumably using the date when last performed via your client. I wonder if this could somehow be more tightly integrated with the FlexRAID server somehow?

The FlexRAID service does not preserve any state information. AFAIK I can't get this info from the FlexRAID service.