Author Topic: Unable to modify popcorn movie database...PLEASE help.  (Read 2981 times)

Offline mastermaybe

• View Profile
Unable to modify popcorn movie database...PLEASE help.
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:59:43 am »
C+ level CPU user and new to this forum so let me apologize in advance for my lack in expertise.

Anyway, I have a 20 TB flex raid array with one (4) TB disc for parity.

99+% of this is used for my movie collection. The problem I'm having is that my media player (popcorn hour a400) cannot modify the movie files (to add movie info/cover art/etc). Specifically, I get the message "unable to create database on this device. Please install a hard disc and format as NMT App".

I just do not undertand. I set the volume up to share with full privileges. Any help to figure this out would be VERY much appreciated.

thanks again,
James

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to modify popcorn movie database...PLEASE help.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 06:56:25 am »
Have you tried Googl'ing? Search NMT App and it will make sense.

Offline mastermaybe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:30:01 am »
Of course I've tried googling. And of course "googling" led me to both NMT and THIS site...you know, the site where I purchased this product.

Seeing I haven't had this issue with the two other data storage options I've used thus far, it seems pretty reasonable that it is likely something with the operation or set up of flex raid, so visiting the site of the product for help would appear to me to be a sensible place to find a resolution. Or not, I guess.

Additionally, I am unable to write to the flex raid volume using makemkv (continually get "failed to save" messages) and so I write to my C drive instead. Well, transferring from the C drive to the flex volume is- for reasons unknown to me- an unbelievably slow process after about 10 seconds...crawling to 12 MBps.

I'd appreciate any knowledge anyone can offer to help solve the problem. I have gone through pages of FAQs and tutorials and I guess I simply do not understand why I cannot write to drives in my own CPU...never mind xfer files.

And as an aside: why do I- a registered member of this site- need to answer 4 questions every time I want to post? Are there really robot issues on this site? Or perhaps I just need to post 20 times and then everything is ok?

thanks

James

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:35:42 am by mastermaybe »

Offline NLS

• Global Moderator
  • Look ma, no hands!
    • View Profile
    • iLogic
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:44 am »
1) Relax. You are a bit tense. I mean it is Dec 31st.

2) The questions will stop in 5 posts total.

3) RAID-F is made very clear that is better for STATIC data. So makes sense that a growing file doesn't work well, where a file that is already closed and with a set size does work.

4) You don't make clear what kind of array you have (snapshot or RT RAID) or ANY real specs (other than the size) of your setup. Nor logs. Nor anything else.

5) Happy New Year.

---
NLS
Production system: SBS2011 fully patched, intel Core2 Quad, 8GB, 12 disks (1 system IDE, 1 backup IDE, 10 for array and parity most SATA3), parity is 3TB, largest data disk is 3TB, millions of smaller files, common browser Chrome latest.

Offline mastermaybe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:29:49 am »
1. Tense? Sure I guess..whatever that really means or adds to anything. I came to the site of the product I purchased and was told to "google". I suppose me responding that I have done just that, came up empty (kinda why I"m here) and I'd like some help from the site of the product from which the problem seems to be emanating makes me "tense"? Ok. Sure.

2. Beautiful. Good to know.

3. I am using RAID over file. So... great.

4. I came to the thread and immediately made it known in plain english that I'm a bit of a noob so it would seen reasonable to me that someone looking to HELP may have to ASK a few questions and of course I'll happily provide all the information I can.

5. Happy New Year.

James