Author Topic: Plug-in idea: Graphical drive layout  (Read 3658 times)

Offline dscline

• View Profile
Plug-in idea: Graphical drive layout
« on: December 31, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »
I'm sorry, I have no HTML nor Java skills, so I'm afraid I can't create plugins.  But I do have an idea for one (although admittedly, it's a stolen one).  For me, anyway, it gets to be a challenge to keep track of which drive is which in the server (i.e.:  where is DRU-18 physically).  When I was on WHS v1, there was an add-in called Drive Management that I loved.  It looked like this:

It automatically populated the list of all the drives in the server, and you could double-click each drive in the list to get more details (like controller, port, serial number, etc.).  But the really slick thing was, you could create a graphical representation of your server, and individually size and locate each drive bay, then link it to a drive.  When you clicked on a drive in the drive list, it would highlight in the picture.  So when you had an issue with a drive, you knew exactly which one to pull.  The picture above is when my server was in it's humble beginnings.  It became very useful once it expanded to two full cases + four external enclosures.

Unfortunately the developer never continued it with a version for WHS 2011.  I've looked around for similar utilities, but haven't found any.  But every time someone saw a screenshot of mine, they wanted something like it, but were then disappointed to learn it was only available for WHS v1.  Considering that FlexRAID is somewhat targted to those with lots of drives, I think something like this would really be desirable, and give FlexRAID a very polished appearance relative to the competition.  If I had the ability to do something like this myself, I would integrate other info into it, like seeing SMART data for each drive, etc.

:)
WHS 2011
tRAID final 23 DRUs 2PPUs
Supermicro C2SEA, Q9505s (stock), 4GB
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
IBM m1015 flashed to LSI 9211-8i/IT + HP SAS Expander
Generic SiI3132

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
Re: Plug-in idea: Graphical drive layout
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »
Masking tape and a marker, mark disk with serial number in an easy to see location, name your disks the serial number too.

Polished against the competition? FlexRAID is the most unpolished golden turd you can find, it works, but boy does it feel ugly <:

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:29:07 pm »
@dscline
I like the idea. Unfortunately, I can't dedicate any time to it given other pressing priorities.
This should really be easy for someone else to do. I am adding the ability to save and retrieve custom data that plugins will use to do almost anything.

This thing that will help is scoring the web for potential JavaScript charting or drawing APIs that can boostrap this feature. That or simplifying the design to just that of a table.

Offline dscline

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »
Unfortunately, I can't dedicate any time to it given other pressing priorities.
No, I certainly didn't expect you to, just throwing it out there in case someone who has the ability is interested in doing something like this.  FWIW, in the mean time I'm using Stablebit Scanner to keep track of what drive is where, though it's certainly not as good of a solution as the Disk Management add-in was.  It simply has the ability to log a case & bay to every drive in its list (so it's a table format rather than graphical).  And since the list is populated by every drive in the system, a drive will disappear if it is dropped for some reason.  FlexRAID (like WHS v1) keeps track of all the drives that are supposed to be there, so even if a drive is dropped, the info about what drive should be there is still there.
WHS 2011
tRAID final 23 DRUs 2PPUs
Supermicro C2SEA, Q9505s (stock), 4GB
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
IBM m1015 flashed to LSI 9211-8i/IT + HP SAS Expander
Generic SiI3132

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 04:24:33 pm »
Here is a quick collection of JavaScript libraries that might help whoever tackles this.

http://oxism.com/hexaflip/
http://www.html5rubik.com/tutorial/
http://cssdeck.com/labs/simple-css3-3d-cube
http://www.kawa.net/works/js/animation/cube-e.html

The design does not have to be limited to cubes. There might be simpler ways to present the same information visually.

Also, remember that the UI has a poke feature that generates activities on a specific disk for visual identification.