Author Topic: RAID 1 with a FlexRaid-F  (Read 1422 times)

Offline acegreaser

• View Profile
RAID 1 with a FlexRaid-F
« on: January 02, 2014, 09:48:26 am »
Hi there.

The wiki is down so I hope to get some answers here.

I bought a custom built a PC with the sole purpose to run it as a NAS using FlexRAid-F.
I installed 2x2TB AGVP HDD. Unfortunately, the person who installed it created a RAID 1 setup with those drives.
I have Win 7 64bit installed in those drives.

I have another 2x2TB HDD with media data on it which I will install into this PC

My questions are.

1) Do I need RAID 1 set up? If no, then should I uninstall the RAID 1?
2) Can I remove RAID 1 without messing up the Win 7 install?
3) If I should keep RAID 1 in those drives, then should I use the RAID 1 drives as the PPU or install a new 2TB HDD as a PPU?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
Re: RAID 1 with a FlexRaid-F
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:02:41 pm »
I would suggest that you get an old hard drive and do a fresh install of your OS and FlexRAID on it, and then you'll have four 2TB drives to dedicate to FlexRAID. I wouldn't bother mixing "real" RAID and FlexRAID. How you distribute those four independent drives between PPU and DRU is up to you and your future plans/paranoia. If you intend to expand with more drives you might consider using 2 of them as PPUs from the start.

Offline acegreaser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:45 am »
I would suggest that you get an old hard drive and do a fresh install of your OS and FlexRAID on it, and then you'll have four 2TB drives to dedicate to FlexRAID. I wouldn't bother mixing "real" RAID and FlexRAID. How you distribute those four independent drives between PPU and DRU is up to you and your future plans/paranoia. If you intend to expand with more drives you might consider using 2 of them as PPUs from the start.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So, to get it clear, I need to install the OS again in another drive, then uninstall the "real" RAID?
Can't I just uninstall the "real" RAID without having to reinstall the OS?

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 02:31:05 pm »
Can't I just uninstall the "real" RAID without having to reinstall the OS?

No, not if your OS is installed on those drives.

Offline acegreaser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:45:55 am »
No, not if your OS is installed on those drives.

Ah ok. Thanks for that.
It was my understanding that since RAID 1 is a mirror, losing one drive wouldn't cause any problems to the remaining drive.
So, I thought, in this case, I can remove "real" RAID 1 and have one drive back to me, format it and use it as a PPU drive for FLexRaid.

Thanks for saving me.... :)

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 09:34:38 am »
Sometimes you can do that, but depending on the controller or setup it can be a hassle. It's easier and safer to make a backup of the files, break the raid, and format both drives.