Author Topic: Anyone have a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-U5D motherboard?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline bobbintb

• View Profile
Anyone have a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-U5D motherboard?
« on: January 10, 2014, 11:16:02 am »
Just a shot in the dark but does anyone have a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-U5D mobo? Mine recently suffered a component failure and I am attempting to fix it but cannot find a manual or photo of the component to find out what I need to replace. I contacted Gigabyte but they have yet to respond. It is a transistor. Here is a photo of where it is located:

http://i.imgur.com/wUc1P8M.jpg

It is Q298, to the upper right of the top most SATA cable.

Can anyone send me a photo of it? Much appreciated.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-U5D motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 11:24:42 am »
Oh wow! Was that a physical accident or did the thing just popped?
I thought those things were supposed to be solid state these days. Takes me back to the days of leaking caps.

Too bad there is no zooming on the newegg pics. Good luck tracking it.

Offline bobbintb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 11:57:51 am »
I honestly have no idea what happened! I finally traced the problems I've been having to that. On closer inspection it does not look like it popped or anything, no obvious sign of burning or scorching. I'm thinking I might have dropped something on it at some point. I seem to vaguely recall dropping something at one point and hearing something serious like a break but shrugged it off because I couldn't find anything. That might be a false memory to try and find a reason though. I am pretty sure I remember finding the chunk of it and wondering what it was. I have no idea how long it has been that way either and wonder if some of the strange but not serious behavior I've had in the past was because of it. I think it must have been a while since I could not find the piece in the case.

I've looked everywhere, no service manual, schematic, even Google image search does not have photos of high enough resolution. One recently showed up on eBay so I contacted the guy and waiting his response. Gigabyte finally responded to my request for a service manual but their response was for me to send it to them to repair, for a charge of course. I may do this if I run out of options but I would rather do it myself.

I figured someone here might have the same board for the same reasons I bought it for a storage pool,  namely the 10 SATA ports.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 01:27:24 pm »
It could just be cheaper to buy a new board. These AMD boards are selling for little these days thanks to Intel complete dominance.
This will also save you from unnecessary downtime.

Offline bobbintb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 01:42:49 pm »
I've looked at that and it isn't cheaper. To get a new board I would probably have to get a new processor as well, maybe more. Plus I can't find anything with 10 SATA ports so I would have to get more addon cards. Even getting the exact same board is an issue because until recently I could not find one online and the one on eBay is $100. That vs the price of a transistor... Gigabyte did respond but they want to charge me to fix it as it is out of warranty. All I wanted was the service manual.

Downtime wasn't an issue. I had a spare motherboard of a different model I threw in. Took about 5 minutes now that there are all these programs for universal restore. Man, I wish they had that back when I was doing help desk support. Back in the day if you wanted to transfer your Windows install to dissimilar hardware you had to do it the hard way by backing everything up, format, reinstall Windows, reinstall all the programs, and restore the backup. It sometimes took hours and it was never quit the exact same. Anyway, it was the troubleshooting downtime that killed me.

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »
As I mentioned in your last thread, that component failure would have nothing to do with SATA reliability as it is the driver for the fan header.
Just pick up any other second hand motherboard that supports your CPU, or sell it all and get a budget FM1/FM2 set up on clearance. You will get improved SATA performance, bus performance, and a new warranty.