Author Topic: using old computer as server should I upgrade to ECC ram?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline muell

• View Profile
using old computer as server should I upgrade to ECC ram?
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:16:47 am »
Ive been using my old desktop as my server for about three months. Currently no raid just backing up with crashplan and removable hard drives for the important stuff. Im wanting to step it up a bit and plan on going with three wd 4tb red drives to start in traid. My question is I have been reading up on the improtance of ECC memory and Im wondering if I should bother upgrading my current system or if i should be looking at upgrading mb and cpu? Here is my current configuration.

mb: Intel BOXD975XBX2KR it does work with unregistered ECC ram. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121059
cpu:  Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

This has been working fine for me streaming movies and music to 4 devices but Im not sure how upgrading to sofware raid will affect performance. I dont want to spend money getting ecc ram just to replace the motherbard and cpu and have to buy new memory again. Also Im looking at getting about 4gb of used samsung ecc ram. It should be about $60

Offline muell

• View Profile
Re: using old computer as server should I upgrade to ECC ram?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:30:09 am »
I accidentally posted in the wrong forum I meant to post this in hardware. Sorry.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:40 am »
I have always used ECC memory only because my boxes tend to have such large amount of it. My current box has 72GB of RAM - not that I actually need that.  :P
Anything at 16GB or more should really be ECC if you want great system uptime.

That said, I have a system with 8GB of non-ECC RAM that has seemingly been doing just fine. So, it is hard to say as it is not a hard science and more of a probability case.
So, first you have to evaluate the probability of getting a memory error and then evaluate the likelihood of it affecting a critical part of the system. Most memory errors just go undetected as they often affect transient information.
The error might happen while streaming a movie, which would have no effect - or it could affect data that will be written to disk, which could still go undetected.

If you can go ECC, do so and get the piece of mind that goes with it.

Offline muell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 04:08:10 pm »
what are your thoughts on the motherboard and cpu. Im using. Will it be adequate for a 3 disk t-raid system that might get upgraded to 5 disk? Only being used to stream video and music.