Author Topic: Hard Drive Reliability Chart  (Read 1857 times)

Offline mark_anderson_us

• View Profile
Hard Drive Reliability Chart
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:27:05 pm »
Thought some of you may be interested in this:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Drive Reliability Chart
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:57:19 pm »
This chart to me was the most interesting:

Mostly, looking at the WD chart, you see that most drives that fail do so quickly, which is good.
However, the sampling is rather bad for the WD drives to be able to make such conclusion.

If drives are to fail, you want them to do so quickly and while they are still within the warranty period. Heck, it would even be better if they fail within the return date period. We tend to trust old drives as they have been "good" to us. So, it would be great if there is such a thing as a hump period after which it is smooth sailing.

Offline SirMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:36:57 pm »
The problem I have with this though is the Seagate drives Backblaze was using came from disassembling external drives.  And the drives were crowdsourced mostly from Sams Clubs around the country and shipped possibly improperly to Backblaze by ordinary people.

Offline terrastrife

• 38TB FlexRAID
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 05:41:29 pm »
The problem I have with this though is the Seagate drives Backblaze was using came from disassembling external drives.  And the drives were crowdsourced mostly from Sams Clubs around the country and shipped possibly improperly to Backblaze by ordinary people.
They were also from the era of 100% bricking failure about 6 years ago. I'm surprised the rate isn't higher.

Offline samstudent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 10:34:05 pm »
I just read a great article on why this chart may not be the most reliable source of data. I recommend giving it a good read it brings up several valid points.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/6028/dispelling-backblaze-s-hdd-reliability-myth-the-real-story-covered/index.html