Author Topic: Correct Process to Replace Failed HDD in RAID-F  (Read 4684 times)

Offline Br3nno

• View Profile
Correct Process to Replace Failed HDD in RAID-F
« on: February 09, 2014, 04:02:31 am »
Hello,

I have been unsuccessfully trying to replace a failed HDD within my FlexRAID. My FlexRAID consists of 4 x 2TB HDD -

PPU1 = W:
DRU1 = X:
DRU2 = Y:
DRU3 = Z:

DRU2 seemed to be dying a slow, painful death (S.MA.R.T. shows it as BAD). So thought I'd do the smart thing and replace it before it completely failed.
I tried to follow the process in http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/08/24/testing-flexraids-cruisecontrol-recovery-operations/ but think I may have been misunderstanding the process or possibly some 'assumed knowledge'.
At step 3, I was leaving 'Select a drive to restore to (optional)' drop down box blank, as I had no way of connecting the replacement HDD without removing one of the FlexRAID HDDs.
Step 4 then gave me the following Operation Failure 'You must select a drive for the requested action!'.
After several hours of unsuccessfully searching through the FlexRAID Wiki and forums for the correct process (found heaps on tRAID, just not RAID-F) I decided to try the following -
1. Removed the failed HDD (DRU2)
2. Inserted the new HDD
3. Formatted the new HDD
4. Changed the new HDD's path to Y: (matching the HDD it was replacing) - this could have been an issue, possibly should have done the next steps prior to changing path name.
5. Followed the steps in the above link to 'Restore/Swap out' my DRU2 HDD
6. FlexRAID showed the task as completed, however said there were no files to restore

If someone is able to point me in the right direction for the correct process, or let me know where I went wrong for next time, it would be much appreciated.
Also, if there is a way to get the data back from the original DRU2 HDD, that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Offline Joe

• View Profile
Re: Correct Process to Replace Failed HDD in RAID-F
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »
You misread the directions. You need to remove the old/bad drive first. Then install/format the new drive and remember the drive letter. At step 3, enter the drive letter and continue with the directions. If you perform the process correctly and had your configuration setup correctly to begin with, you should not need to restore data from the failed drive. The data will be restored based on the parity drive(s).

Also, this topic is in the wrong forum.

Offline Davisphung

• View Profile
    • แทงหวยออนไลน์
Re: Correct Process to Replace Failed HDD in RAID-F
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 03:00:11 am »
Want administrator to comment on this forum.