Author Topic: German  (Read 11405 times)

Offline Marv21

• View Profile
German
« on: February 25, 2014, 05:10:53 pm »
No Germans here :)?

Want to start translating to german

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: German
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:00:11 pm »
http://translate.flexraid.com/de/traid/

Here is the translation done for RAID-F.
http://download.openegg.org/release/FlexRAID/Translate/German.zip

Thanks.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:15:41 pm »
I can help with some of the translations, but i will need to ask what some of the terms mean in their context.
MB: ASUS Z87-WS, i7-4770, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD w/ Win7 Home Premium
tRAID: 5x 2GB DRU, 1x 2GB PPU (all Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000), 1x 3TB Seagate PPU (what... it was g i v e n to me), 1x 256GB SSD landing disk
PSU: Corsair Ax860i

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 02:52:42 pm »
Great. Sign up at http://translate.flexraid.com/ and PM me your username so I can grant you access to the German translation.

Thanks.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 05:40:30 am »
Hi,

I registered for the Pottle account. In the conformation email was this activation link:

A  Pootle account has been created for you using this email address. To activate your account, follow this link:     http://localhost:8000/accounts/activate/979fb3d6e5e66de26f6459021711984ef2d7d013/

As you can see the link is local, i can,t confirm the account. What to do?

Regards,
dan
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 10:40:32 am by Dan »
tRAID: 5x 2GB DRU, 1x 2GB PPU (all Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000), 1x 3TB Seagate PPU (what... it was g i v e n to me), 1x 256GB SSD landing disk

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 03:05:47 pm »
Hi,
Just replace localhost with translate.flexraid.com.

Thanks.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
German translation: some questions
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 01:39:08 am »
What is Sudo (Sudo password)? Google brings it in connection with linux and Apple OS, but i am still not clear what it is required for. Or can it be expected that those for whom the text is intended will know what it is and i should just transliterate here.

TLS (lable TLS) stands for...

Item - can only be translated specifically, need to know nature of "item" (found in Termonology)

Please describe what "free slice spaces" is. Found in: File: ConstantText.properties, location:

labelFreeSliceSpaces Is slices particular to Linix? Can partition be used instead of slices?

You use the term "zero-out" in a couple different contexts:
 - "Zero-out Drives" (titleFormatDrives) ...by formatting all drives
 - "Initialize the RAID by zero'ing out the array" (descriptionFormatDrives) ...by formatting all drives
    Until now i though RAID and Array were interchangeable terms. A RAID consists of an array of
   disks (or portions thereof). Please elaborate what action exactly is being performed here.
 - "Zero out the drive when completed" (labelForensicEraseZero) ...by (forensically) erasing drive data with zeros
 - "Zero-out Disk Image File" ? ...by deleting a particular file
 - "Zero-out and erase (delete existing data)" ...this text seems to indicate that zero out and erase are not synonymous

In the translation i would like to use "format", "erase" or "erase by", and "delete" if i may.

Restore into PPU drives (un-RAID) : What is being restored here, parity data into a PPU that has been replaced? What does un-RAID mean here?

Un-fail Device (found in labelConfigurationOverrideUnFailDevice)
Is this an action or a description (substantive)? Same question to "Fail Device" and "Swap Device"

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:57:08 am »
- Sudo: do not translate (it is a name at this point)
- TLS: do not translate
- Item: translate as a generic word
- Free slice spaces: think of a disk being sliced into sections and then some slices being occupied and others being free
- labelFreeSliceSpaces: it applies to both Windows and Linux
- Zero-out: writing zeros to the disk (format implies writing boot sectors, laying out partitions and volumes, and applying a file system) - zero out is writing zeros
- Restore into PPU drives (un-RAID): A DRU is being restored. Once restored using the PPU disk, the array is no longer protected as the parity data was overridden.
- Un-fail,  Fail Device, Swap Device: they are actions

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:32:17 am »
Hi,

Just some final questions. Also, my Pootle account has insufficient privileges to process the "Suggestions" made by collaborators.

Sorry, but still i need to clarify:

- "Initialize the RAID by zero'ing out the array" is to zero-out all drives in the Array using the same zero-out process that blankets all drive space with zeroes?

- "Zero-out Disk Image File" is to __________________________? I am asking again because the object upon which the "zeroing" is performed is a file. That sounds like delete.

- What is a Disk Image File: a file containing a disk image as produced by a program such as Acronis or Norton Ghost? Or is this something else that is produced by tRAID, and if so, could you please describe it?

- "Zero-out and erase (delete existing data)" - got me stumped. Is a zero-out done to erase, or the erasure is a result of zeroing out (a drive, a disk image file, ...)?

- "Free slice spaces" I know that your program runs on Win and Linux OS, but as i asked before, slices is particular to Linux. May i use "Free Disk Space" instead. I believe in practice it means the same thing.

- "Scan for image disks" - Is image disk the same as disk image?

- "Un-fail device" - is this a reset of the "failed" flag, or is a process started whereby a failed device is repaired, or... something else?

- SmartConstantText: Advanced Mappings - what is being mapped? Which other texts does it apply to?

- Could you please elaborate on the CONTEXT of following text:
Adding parity drives to a distributed RAID configuration is merely symbolic as data and parity will effectively be written to all drives in a distributed fashion.<br/>It helps in validating the desired tolerance level also allows for parity distribution to be turned off before deployment without drive configuration changes.

This SMART attribute was found twice, same heading, different discriptional texts:
SoftReadErrorRate                      - Soft Read Error Rate
SoftReadErrorRateTADescription - Soft Read Error Rate __ The discription text for these two doesn't shed much light

Also found twice, same heading and description text:
GSenseErrorRate - G-Sense Error Rate

Note on SmartConstantText translations:
Since most web info on SMART is available in english, i thought it a good idea to include the english attribute names in the explanation test as reference to google by. Is that ok?

Best Regards,
Dan
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:34:46 am by Dan »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »
Hi,

Just some final questions. Also, my Pootle account has insufficient privileges to process the "Suggestions" made by collaborators.
I have edited your permissions. Let me know if that resolves the issue.

Sorry, but still i need to clarify:

- "Initialize the RAID by zero'ing out the array" is to zero-out all drives in the Array using the same zero-out process that blankets all drive space with zeroes?
Yes, same process.

- "Zero-out Disk Image File" is to __________________________? I am asking again because the object upon which the "zeroing" is performed is a file. It clears out the file such that the data contain in that file is all zero.

- What is a Disk Image File: a file containing a disk image as produced by a program such as Acronis or Norton Ghost? Or is this something else that is produced by tRAID, and if so, could you please describe it?
One created by tRAID. Currently this is only used for logging (Log RAID).
Transparent RAID only understand disks. So, if it needs to write to a file, that file must be presented as a disk.

- "Zero-out and erase (delete existing data)" - got me stumped. Is a zero-out done to erase, or the erasure is a result of zeroing out (a drive, a disk image file, ...)?
Redundant only to emphasize that all data will be lost. Yes, zero'ing out is done to delete all data.

- "Free slice spaces" I know that your program runs on Win and Linux OS, but as i asked before, slices is particular to Linux. May i use "Free Disk Space" instead. I believe in practice it means the same thing.
NZFS feature not used in tRAID. Think of a disk being carved into slices (like a pizza pie) with some of those slices being free for the taking.

- "Scan for image disks" - Is image disk the same as disk image?
Scan the host systems for disk image files created by tRAID.

- "Un-fail device" - is this a reset of the "failed" flag, or is a process started whereby a failed device is repaired, or... something else?
Just a flag switch. Nothing is repaired. This is essentially an override of the system's checks.

- SmartConstantText: Advanced Mappings - what is being mapped? Which other texts does it apply to?
Path and Type mapping for SMART data pulls.

- Could you please elaborate on the CONTEXT of following text:
This SMART attribute was found twice, same heading, different discriptional texts:
SoftReadErrorRate                      - Soft Read Error Rate
SoftReadErrorRateTADescription - Soft Read Error Rate __ The discription text for these two doesn't shed much light
A TA counter is a type of soft error. Keep these as technical as possible. Understanding these things in detail will require long paragraphs.

Also found twice, same heading and description text:
GSenseErrorRate - G-Sense Error Rate
Same as above. Translate such that the user can Google the term for more information.

Note on SmartConstantText translations:
Since most web info on SMART is available in english, i thought it a good idea to include the english attribute names in the explanation test as reference to google by. Is that ok?
Yep. I fully agree. These are mostly references rather than full explanations of the attributes. So, keeping searchable terms in the description is of great value.

Best Regards,
Dan
Thank you. :)

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 02:53:09 pm »
One created by tRAID. Currently this is only used for logging (Log RAID).
Transparent RAID only understand disks. So, if it needs to write to a file, that file must be presented as a disk.
Could it be called a virtual disk?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 03:10:17 pm »
Could it be called a virtual disk?
Virtual Disk File? Yes. It is similar to VHD and VMDK files.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 05:47:37 am »
Hi,

No change to my Pootle account, Suggestions tab not available.

Someone is looking over the translation now. Is there a specific time frame you would like to see it finished?

BR,
Dan

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:35:27 am »
There is going to be a milestone release at the end of the month.
So, all translations to be included in that release will have to be completed prior. In fact, getting it done early so I can issue you an early test release would be ideal  in order to validate that everything looks as expected.

Thanks.

Offline Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:11:38 am »
Hi Brahim,
I,ll pass that on. I am confident your deadline can be met. And the Suggestions funtion is now available, it may have been the first time. According to the Pootle docs i was expecting a tab. The function, however, is built nicely into the Translate UI. Great tool you,ve found there :-)

Just a thought, would it be much trouble to crank out a German version using the existing translation? We could get a head start on the testing. Although i am not certain, i do believe that most of the translation won,t change much, or if so, only marginally. What i am personally most concerned with are the label-string lengths (assuming they have to fit on buttons limited in size), they are always the trickiest :-) And then there is the task to find them all in all the UI masks!

Last question: is there a test protocol available? If so, that would be mightily appreciated.

Thanks! And have a great weekend!

BR,
Dan