Author Topic: RAID over File System (RAID-F): The re-design  (Read 18155 times)

Offline brent112

• View Profile
Re: RAID over File System (RAID-F): The re-design
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2015, 05:39:24 am »
An update on the progress would be nice..
Agreed, really looking forward to this.

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 03:05:22 am »
I guess there has been no real progress since last year :(

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2015, 04:00:23 am »
I guess there has been no real progress since last year :(
None that has been announced. ;)

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2015, 04:33:07 am »
None that has been announced. ;)

Any possibility they will be announced?

Offline mystik

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 01:02:32 pm »
I'm glad to hear that it's not being abandoned, and that there will be further updates/improvements.  I bought this one over tRAID because 1)  Once my files are in place, they do not change much at all...only when replaced...and new files are added, of course; 2) it seemed a lot more straight-forward with the setup.  I do not mean by that options are not welcomed and appreciated.  The setup just looked more complex, and it seemed much more straight-forward to move on with RAID-F. and 3) I am connecting over USB 3.0.  I got the impression performance would be a real concern with that on tRAID.

I have read some scary things on here, but also heard a lot of good things.  So, hoping this works out great.  I am at 97% done with my Parity Computation.  I did this once already, but ended up deleting it when I almost decided to go a different direction.  I had an issue with the recycle bin.  I can't remember the details at the moment, but got a reply on here that it shouldn't be an issue.  So, giving it another try.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2016, 05:16:41 pm »
Indeed, RAID-F is a great solution in itself and tRAID is not an upgrade. There are many things planned for RAID-F. Hopefully, they will all see fruition this year. :)

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 06:06:22 am »
Please give us an update this project.

Thanks

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2016, 12:23:42 am »
So no update at all? If this project is being abandoned, please let us know.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 08:49:35 am »
So no update at all? If this project is being abandoned, please let us know.
This has been asked about a million time already. The next releases are in the works and there is no ETA.
Those that have been around long enough know of this type of silence and gap between releases whenever something major is being worked on.
It is not an ideal process, but it is pointless to fight it. So, chill.  8)

Offline Methanoid

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2016, 05:30:09 am »
A bit sad that a critical post gets deleted. Is criticism not allowed in the Soviet state of Brahim-Land?  >:(

Offline imadork8317

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2016, 02:11:49 am »
For those impatiently waiting, are you currently using RAID-F? is it working? If the answer is yes, then whats the issue? For my use case, as long as it keeps doing what it's doing, it will work for me.

Offline FlyingShawn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2016, 10:52:58 am »
For those impatiently waiting, are you currently using RAID-F? is it working? If the answer is yes, then whats the issue? For my use case, as long as it keeps doing what it's doing, it will work for me.
Take a look back at the thread: the last time Brahim said anything specific about the development of this project was April of 2014.  Ever since then he's seemed annoyed that we'd even ask for a "yes this project is still going" every six months or so.  Are you really going to tell me with a straight face you consider asking for some news after TWO+ YEARS "impatient"?!

Anyone who has been around Flexraid for any length of time is accustomed to Brahim's development pace, but even knowing that progress will be sporadic it is not at all unreasonable to expect *something* by way of news every six months or so just to assure us the project isn't dead or completely back-burnered.

And to answer your question: no, RAID-F isn't working well for me in its current form.  My data does not change rapidly, but it also isn't completely static either and the current all-or-nothing approach (without some very tedious manual scripting) makes successful validates and verifies nearly impossible on very large arrays (like my 23TB system with dual PPUs).  Other RAID products, including others offered by Flexraid, are not a good fit for my needs, so I am still using it and simply hoping my data is healthy because *something* always gets changed/moved in the full-day it takes to run a verify and the check fails as a result.  I am greatly hoping the future of RAID-F will include architecture and performance improvements that will make it more reliable on large arrays (such as my partial/continuous validation idea much earlier in the thread).

Offline FlyingShawn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 11:24:22 am »
And keep in mind: the people who are so "impatiently waiting" aren't even asking for a release date: we're just asking for Brahim to give us 15 minutes of his time every six months or so to tell us what's happening with this project (like when he said he was focusing on the UI a couple of years ago) and *maybe* some idea if he's getting close to done with the redesign.

RAID-F is a great product and that's part of why we have been so exceptional patient and hopeful for this redesign, but even considering Brahim's usual development pace two years without any news is rapidly approaching "abandonware" status (any other software company and we would have given up a long time ago).

Is taking 15 minutes to write a status update every six months such an unreasonable ask?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 12:37:37 pm »
As stated in many threads, I have to go quiet at times. It is just my process, and I have learned not to fight it.
No question that news updates and communicating every progress goes a long way. Hopefully, we will get back to that soon.

Offline amarshonarbangla

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 07:29:18 pm »
Dropping by for my bi-yearly update request.

So, what's the latest on this project? Any updates?  :P