Author Topic: A option to set Folders instead of file types under Statistics.  (Read 2484 times)

Offline FrostyWolf

• View Profile
I would think most people have their data fairly organised, more so if they are running something like flexRaid.  That being said, being able to set File Statistic categories based on folders instead of file names would offer a better visualization to most people of where and how there data is distributed. 

For instance, I have a Folder called TV Shows, and one called Movies.  Using file types, I have no way to tell which is which, where if I could use folders, the graphs would give me a much better break down.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A option to set Folders instead of file types under Statistics.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:43:15 pm »
You mean a type of file size by folder graph?

Offline FrostyWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 01:28:23 am »
Hmm...I'm trying to figure out the best way to explain this.

Right now, you can set categories for the file statistic graphs.  You do this by:

"Display Name" -> "Extensions"

I would like to see a option to do it this way:

"Display Name" -> "Folder"

I can't speak for everyone, but the current method is almost useless to me.  It's not a big deal, considering it doesn't effect the raid in anyway, but I would like graphs that give me a better detailed break down of my storage.

Right now, "Movies" is default catch all for all video media.  Under the system I am proposing you could break it down like this:

"Movies" -> "Movies Folder"
"TV Shows" -> "TV Shows Folder"

To give a much better break down of data.  In fact, doing it by folders could completely eliminate the "other" category for a lot of people, for being able to lump together certain things that would be hard, if not impossible, with the "Extensions" option, due to cross contamination between file extensions among multiple categories. 

For instance, I have a Roms folder, a DBU folder, a Software folder, and a Games folder.  All of which contain ISOs.  In the current system, I can either just let all fall under "Disc Images" which really wouldn't help me determine where anything is, or let them all go categorized, which isn't any better.  I also have some extracted 360 and PS3 isos stored on the server, which have god knows how many different file extensions, a lot which cross over with other things.

EDIT: A different feature entirely that does folders would be fine as well (I think that what you where suggesting?), I just figured using the pre-existing system but with folders would be easier to implement, but of course I have no idea how it's codded.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:05:00 am by FrostyWolf »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:02:49 am »
Yeah, that would be a separate feature as they would be overlap in categorizing by file extensions and by folder containment.

I think you just have a case where your movies and your tv shows can have the same file extensions and you want to differentiate between them.
Add a feature request to bug.flexraid.com and we will see later.

Offline FrostyWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 11:36:48 am »
Yeah, that would be a separate feature as they would be overlap in categorizing by file extensions and by folder containment.

I think you just have a case where your movies and your tv shows can have the same file extensions and you want to differentiate between them.
Add a feature request to bug.flexraid.com and we will see later.

?

For instance, I have a Roms folder, a DBU folder, a Software folder, and a Games folder.  All of which contain ISOs.  In the current system, I can either just let all fall under "Disc Images" which really wouldn't help me determine where anything is, or let them all go categorized, which isn't any better.  I also have some extracted 360 and PS3 isos stored on the server, which have god knows how many different file extensions, a lot which cross over with other things.

I mean...movies and TV shows overlapping are a small part of what I explained...but there is a heck of a lot more overlap then just that, that isn't even the worse because you can just call that all "media" and be done with it.  Overlapping files from Databackups (which could be anything) or Roms (which can be anything from .wmvs to .bins to .txt to .dlls to .isos to .bmps...you get the point) are much, much worse, because they are overlapping with all categories.  More importantly...it just makes more sense, at lest for a tRaid storage pool.  I would assume most people keep data they liked categorized into folders, right?  File extension graphs, while pretty and interesting, don't really help unless your raid is only storing one type of media, like only Databackups or only media.  If you are using it for a multipurpose server, you can only expect to have overlaps in your categories, which you would have split your self into folders already, so why not use the folders themselves as the categories?

TL;DR My server has over 1,000,000 files on it, but only in 8 categories (top level folders).  There is no way for me to use the current system in any useful way.

Like I said before, I meant a box that let you switch between file extensions OR folders, not both at the same time, as I wouldn't see the point in needing both at the same time.  I have no idea whether you would want to call that a separate feature.

Added as requested: http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=355
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:46:01 am by FrostyWolf »

Offline jamohamo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 07:43:28 pm »
The type of information you are after might best be reported using tools like TreeSize. http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/
There is a free version as well but it has some limitations. https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/