Author Topic: tRaid disrupts chkdsk  (Read 3165 times)

Offline SentinelBorg

• View Profile
tRaid disrupts chkdsk
« on: March 09, 2014, 05:52:26 pm »
Today I installed the new release version of tRaid on my server and enabled the new performance mode. I then tried copying a 100GB file on one of my data drives and got a bluescreen shortly after. But well, thats a problem for another topic. While doing the copy, I also deleted a single folder on the target drive.

After the bluescreen and the following reboot the MTF of the drive was faulty, with the one folder I wanted to delete, now becoming corrupt and undeleteable.
The problem now was, that chkdsk was simply not able to fix the error with multiple tries and around 3 restarts:
Code: [Select]
Chkdsk was executed in read/write mode. 

Checking file system on M:
Volume label is Data1.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

528896 file records processed.                                                         File verification completed.

0 large file records processed.                                                                                                                           
  0 bad file records processed.                                     
Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
The data written out is different from what is being read back
at offset 0x2c000 for 0x1000 bytes.
An unspecified error occurred (696e647863686b2e 1324).

Only after I stopped the raid and mounted that partition directly, chkdsk was able to fix the error. So I have to assume, that somehow tRad interfered with the operation of chkdsk in that regard.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Re: tRaid disrupts chkdsk
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:22:18 pm »
Quite a similar issue here (well, at least exactly the same error message).

I didn't try to run chkdsk on the physical drive yet but it's my next step.

I simply wait on Brahim's advice before proceeding with that.
I don't want to solve the problem if a deeper investigation is required....

My own post is here : http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php?topic=3964.msg25852#msg25852

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 04:41:02 pm »
The one thing to try is dis-engaging driver protection mode. Driver protection blocks certain low level operations.

That said, I would not run disk tools on the transparent disks with driver protection dis-engaged. I would run those on the source disks and then run the Verify & Sync task afterward.
A simple Google search on chkdsk on RAID volume will show that doing so is always a no-no.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:18:37 pm »
I take note !!

And as reported in my other thread or as said by SentinelBorg, doing the chkdsk directly on the physical drive (once online) fix the issue.

V.

Offline cheese528

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:05:36 pm »
I'm a bit confused by this.  In another post, it was described that it is fine to run chkdsk on the NZFS disks that show up after starting the RAID array http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php?topic=2423.0

I did experience this issue of not being able to have chkdsk remap the bad sectors on the virtual drive.  It was only after stopping T-RAID, and running chkdsk on the physical drive partition that it got fixed.  Am I doing something wrong?