Author Topic: Tool to migrate files and folders - 3 scenarios  (Read 1600 times)

Offline jamohamo

• View Profile
Tool to migrate files and folders - 3 scenarios
« on: April 09, 2014, 05:31:44 am »
CONSOLIDATE
Let's say you've been running in round-robin mode and files and folders are evenly distributed across all volumes. Imagine being able to click on a folder and select "Consolidate" to move the subfolders and files that may reside on other volumes to the one volume. Of course a check would have to be made that everything would fit on the target volume but it would make knowing where your stuff is much easier.

DISTRIBUTE
Now consider the reverse. It would also be great to be able to tell the array to evenly distribute existing files and folders across all volumes and move existing data to that effect.

EVACUATE
What about moving all the content from one volume to another/other volume/s from within the array while it's still online? Perhaps the original volume is starting to show signs of failure or you want to change it out for a larger unit. Again a space check would need to be made.

These three could possibly be done in the background in idle time.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Re: Tool to migrate files and folders - 3 scenarios
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:43:58 pm »
I was visiting this section "Feature Request" in order to post a very similar request :)

As far as I am concerned, I would vote in that order (1st = most appreciated ;) ):
1) CONSOLIDATE (which can be used to "evacuate" if one can select to consolidate all top level folders from their current disk onto other disks)
2) EVACUATE
3) DISTRIBUTE

V.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:53:11 pm »
Doable. :)
Add the request to Mantis if not already there.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 01:55:53 pm »
I did encode the request from jamohamo here: http://bug.flexraid.com/view.php?id=364