Author Topic: Cant read from source file or disk  (Read 4207 times)

Offline roller

• View Profile
Cant read from source file or disk
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:48:11 am »
So I am evaluating Flexraid RAID-F, T-RAID, SnapRAID and a couple of other systems because I've now had multiple requests from clients for such a technology. I spent some time with RAID-F snapshot without any fuss but I have just wiped all that config to build a RAID-F realtime config to compare.

Upon creating the realtime RAID-F config I get the error "Can't read from source file or disk" whenever I try to copy anything to the drive (pool V:) or anything within the drive. I tore down the config and deleted it completely, reformatted all the drives taking part in the RAID-F array and created a new realtime config. Once all set up and the pool turned on I get the same result. All drives are NTFS, a mix of 2x1TB and 2x250GB fro DRUs and a single 3TB for PPU.

Anyone have any ideas? I've searched and came up with one hit regarding permissions but that is why I reformatted all disks and everything seemed in order before building the array.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cant read from source file or disk
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:03:39 am »
If you are copying to the pool and the error is about the source disk, why are you looking at the pool disk?

Offline roller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:17:23 am »
Because it is not about the source disk ... that is a bit of a Windows non error. As I stated previously even copying data withing the pool produced the error. There are no errors copy from any source disk to any destination disk in the box UNLESS the destination is the pool.

Of course now it is formatted there is no data within the pool to copy around so I cant test that further... and I can't put any data on there as no matter what the source is I get Cant read from source file or disk when the pool is the destination.

Offline roller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:08 am »
Oh, I should add ... it errors only on the data files. The directory structure is copied in tact.

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »
You did mention it already, but check your permissions and security tabs for the virtual pool drive.

Offline roller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 12:44:08 am »
Reapplied permissions both on the Pool and on the individual drives (after tearing down RAID-F and started a new RAID setup) all to no avail. Rebuilt another system (this time as virtual) and ended up with other issues (not reliably restoring a failed/removed disk - files missing or corrupt).
Gave up on RAID-F as buggy and the dismissive type of support I was lead to expect from the developer and moved on.

Tried real time RAID as well on a parallel test system - had generally no issues but don't like datarot exposure and in some senses I feel I might as well go a ZFS RAID VM in that case (yes I get the tradeoffs).

Anyway, have happily parallel tested SnapRAID for this whole time which is working without a hitch and dealing with every issue thrown at it with aplomb. Deployed it on the original image that befuddled RAID-F and it worked without fuss. So I feel testing thus far thoroughly pushes us in that direction but now we are down to choosing which pooling solution fits with it.

Been toying with ReFS and Windows storage pooling too... promising but feels very Beta as well.

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 11:18:37 pm »
This is the same problem reported here:

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,3548.0.html

And here by me:

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,3868.0.html

If you were to check FlexRAID.sys.c1-1.log you would find the error :

[OnSetEndOfFile] Denying truncate on allocation for non-writable handle!

This is only an issue with RT and ver 12(b & c).  Existing users can roll back to ver 12, unfortunately that is not possible for new users.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:59:24 am by DrBlaze »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 09:41:10 am »
@DrBlaze
The issue you are describing is a client application error. Basically, the client opened the file in read-only mode and then tries a write/delete operation on the handle. I think later releases of RT RAID got stricter and failed the operation.

You could use resource monitor to verify how the affected files are opened.

Offline MasterCATZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:38 pm »
also having the same problem with realtime raid enabled on win 7

tried in cruise control and expert modes

folders get built files will not write

I can create folders create txt doc , but can not alter the txt doc to contain data

Offline DrBlaze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 05:59:27 pm »
All users having issues with RT not writing to the pool:

http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3901.0;attach=3107

replace C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenEgg.org\FlexRAID RAID-F 2.0\ext\w_class1_0.dl