Author Topic: Support for disk load balancing  (Read 1454 times)

Offline imadork8317

• View Profile
Support for disk load balancing
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:24:00 pm »
I am not sure if others would benefit from this but it is somewhat of a bottle neck for me.  When all of my disks fill up I go out and buy a new one. So basically all new data being written to FlexRAID is going to be written on the new disk.  Since the disks I buy are not high performance, i can only do so much at once before the spindle maxes out on IOPS.  Creating a load balance feature would allow FlexRAID to balance disk availability between all disks.  For example, i have 9 4TB disks that are all 90% full, i then add a brand new 4TB disk into the mix.  FlexRAID would move data from the 9 disks to the new disk so they all have an equal amount of free space (or equal percentage of free space). This would allow FlexRAID to write to disks in a round robin sort of fashion allowing the user to be more productive and be able to multitask more efficiently. Thus removing the disk I/O as the bottle neck. Most likely the new bottle neck would be the CPU.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Support for disk load balancing
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:57:40 pm »
There are two storage pool mode. See the wiki for further details: http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/03/26/flexraids-storage-pool-merge-modes/

The reality is that balancing the disks won't give you the performance you think you will get.