Author Topic: 8 Port Sata connector? New user.  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Jawswing

• View Profile
8 Port Sata connector? New user.
« on: May 28, 2014, 03:41:39 pm »
Currently an Unraid user, but my Array R2 case doesn't hold anymore HDDs, and because I've just upgraded my PC my old 2700K would be such a waste for Unraid, I've decided to move my home server over to Windows and Flexraid. The most important question I have here, is I'm looking to get a cheap 8 port SAS/Sata controller. I've tried asking on overclock.net, but they seem to be pretty slow with stuff like that. So, what better place to ask than here?
Anyway, one of the cheaper options I've found is the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8. Seems cheap, don't need it's raid features, so will it be up to the job of controlling 8 HDDs?
The case I have (Nanoxia Deep Silence 5) holds 11 HDDs natively, but I think I'm planning to use up to 15 in the array, and a lot of the onboard ports will be taken through none raid devices. So I'll probably need to get 2 8 port cards I think.
Another question I have is t or fRaid? I'm not all that knowledgeable. I'm just looking to protect my data in case any drive fails at all. But, in basic terms what's the difference between the two? Am I right in thinking real time raid will protect my data always, however Snapshot collects data at a selected time, and if any data lost after this which was transferred after this time will be lost?
I imagine either version spins down the HDDs when not in use (I think the noise would be unbearable), but I thought I'd just check this.
And also is it possible to set user shares? I wouldn't want anyone stumbling across it over the internet and decide to format the entire thing.

Last question, both version do say 'Supports drives with existing data on them?', however I think I'd cry if I did something wrong pulling these Unraid drives and throwing them and loosing everything. So A) Is this possible to do? And B) If not, would it mean the best option would be to buy 2/3 new HDDs and just copying a HDD over at a time?
Cheers. I know a lot of questions probably aren't related to this board, but most importing thing is the HDD controller as I'm about to buy one soon.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Port Sata connector? New user.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 03:51:41 pm »
I personally prefer the LSI 2008 based cards from a support perspective. No need to flash, supported on Windows, Linux, ESXi, etc.
Check eBay for such card.

RAID-F vs tRAID is something where I recommend people to try them both. It is easy enough to do so as there is no data migration needed.
As both have storage pooling, your client systems won't know the difference when you move from one to the other.

I tend to push people toward tRAID as it has both the aspects of traditional RAID (so less surprises) and the flexibility of FlexRAID as a concept.
That said, there many deployment where RAID-F is the better choice given its greater flexibility and Snapshot RAID mode of operation.

Offline Jawswing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 04:17:52 pm »
Always been a little wary about buying from eBay, but they sell a lot of business stuff on there you can't really find elsewhere. Building a PFSense router pretty soon and noticed it with NICs.
Anyway, will this thing do the job?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujitsu-SAS-MEGARAID-LSI-2008-S26361-D2607-A21-38016600-Ctrl-SAS-6G-0-1-/201041681397?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards&hash=item2ecf049bf5

Noticed after doing a few searches online that a few people have mentioned the same thing, and that the drives drop out after awhile and requires a reboot (I have a friend say the same thing, despite him recommending that controller to me, he just assumed that was a problem with Flexraid though?).

Anyway, if that card above is better, it's only an extra £15 so it isn't too bad.
The majority of these cards are shipped international (outside the UK), but the import fees, and possible returns if it doesn't work puts me off a little.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 04:32:26 pm »
Not that card, this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251365300126
Search for "LSI 9201-8i".