Author Topic: Bit of a mess - Need advice on next steps to get back live  (Read 1044 times)

Offline WinoOutWest

• View Profile
Bit of a mess - Need advice on next steps to get back live
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:45:15 pm »
I've attached my UoR visualization and Drive Manager screen shots to help explain.

I won't bore you with the gory details of HOW I got to this situation (unless you care) I am just looking for some help to fix my Flexraid pool.

DRU1 is made up of two drives a 2tb and a 1tb - the 1TB is totally dead
DRU8 is empty.  I'd like to repurpose this as DRU1 and removed the 2 drives that make up DRU1
I have an offline backup of the failed drive so I need Flexraid to restore the data (if that makes things easier)
PPU1 is failing and has a bunch of bad sectors so I have a clean drive ready to replace that.
Tried removing DRU8 from the pool but it starts a process that runs for days on end and never seems to finish and I can't make any other changes in the Drive Manager.
Pure uneducated speculation on my part is that when I am trying to remove the DRU8 drive the parity is being recalculated and with the corruption of it and the missing drive in DRU1 is causing my problem??
This is a Windows7 box.

What I want to swap out the drives in DRU1 to the single DRU8 then pull and replace my Parity with the new one I have sitting here.
Can someone help direct me to the correct steps to follow to accomplish this?

Offline WinoOutWest

• View Profile
Re: Bit of a mess - Need advice on next steps to get back live
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:03:03 pm »
log file attached

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 04:25:55 pm »
You cannot contract the RAID when you have a failed disk.

If you wish not to restore (and prefer to restore from backup), just delete the RAID configuration, regain control of your disks, clean and deal with the problematic disks, and rebuild the array a new as you desire.

If you wish to restore, however, focus on restoring the missing disk before doing anything else.

Offline WinoOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:43:56 pm »
I really don't need to do the restore as the failed drive is my data drive and is backed up already.  My question about deleting the config would be:

What happens to the dispersed files in existing array that has been running for 18 months or so?   Will I need to move files around in the new array or will Flexraid recognize the old file structure when I re-create the raid?

Btw: i keep getting one of cerification questions that is "30 (divided) by 4:"  It always fails on 7.5 and 7.... what would be the expected answer to this?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »
The file structure will be recognized. So, no worries there.

Offline WinoOutWest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:46:23 pm »
One more question about redoing the config:

In DRU1 I have one good drive and one dead drive.  I am going to copy the good drive to the single 3TB drive I have earmarked for the new DRU1.  When I copy do I copy ALL the folders including the hidden/system folders:  _flxr, $RECYCLE.BIN, RECYCLER and System Volume Information?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:37:55 am »
Copy the _flxr folder but not the recycle bin and system folders.