Author Topic: uTorrent and open handles while updating parity  (Read 1536 times)

Offline Rand

• View Profile
uTorrent and open handles while updating parity
« on: September 29, 2011, 10:02:12 pm »
A while back when I tried doing my first Snapshot update, I forgot to close uTorrent which, at the time, was probably downloading to one of the DRU's being read for parity creation. I don't recall the exact error message I got or if it was even related but, ever since then I've just made a habit of closing any program which might have open handles to files on my DRUs before doing an update.

My question is: For automation purposes, what is considered best practice in this scenario? Say I want to do a nightly parity update at 3am but want to leave uTorrent open 24/7 to do it's thing? Is it safe to just leave it open with downloads running while updating parity? If not, perhaps I can get away with only seeding during the parity update (also possible with uTorrent's scheduler). I guess I'm unsure whether the open handles are even a problem while updating parity. I'm planning to test this out tonight but I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 10:23:53 pm by Rand »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: uTorrent and open handles while updating parity
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:12 pm »
I think the best practice is to have your torrent download to a temporary drive and then move things when completed to the RAID.
Normally, you can play with the NewFileDelay property, but with torrent pausing downloads sometimes for hours or days, not sure what value might work for you.

Offline Rand

• View Profile
Re: uTorrent and open handles while updating parity
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »
Makes sense. I've also just set up a Storage Pool with my DRU's so that will give me another reason to start downloading torrents outside of the pool / raid first (as was mentioned in this thread).