Author Topic: Multiple dropped drives  (Read 1512 times)

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
Multiple dropped drives
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:50:52 pm »
So I've had the server running 3x3TB dru w/ 1x3TB ppu on Windows 8.1 for about a week.  Haven't had a lick of problem out of it.  All the drives checked out ok with a full write and then a full scan prior to building the array.  Wake up today and the movies I have in the Storage Pool feature  were not responding, vlc was giving a generic bad file error.  So first thing I did was to restart the whole server.  The restart took a few minutes than longer, but when it came back up I had dropped 2 DRU drives and the PPU drive.  The third drive was still active and the storage pool came on like was configured, though with only 1/3 the space obviously.  Checking under windows disk management, the 2 DRU drives were showing as uninitialized (the source disc itself was still showing how it should have and was in offline mode).  So I went back into the config panel and simply unfailed the dropped drives, started the array back up and all my data was back again.

Putting off my purchase of this until I can narrow down what in the world happened.  Any ideas?  Can't just go ahead and put an array that won't stay on into production.

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
Re: Multiple dropped drives
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:26:25 pm »
Had DRU1 drop out again today for no apparent reason.  Unfailed the drive and everything is how it was when I left for work this morning.  No data had been written or read while I was gone and the drive still dropped out on it's own.  SMART still showing the drive is fine.

Anyone have a clue?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:33:28 pm »

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:33:22 pm »
I have already returned the drives to service twice, I can do that.  I'm asking if anyone has any idea why they would be dropping so much to begin with.  Or atleast any pointers where to look into the problem?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 09:44:21 pm »
The Windows event viewer should have some entries to provide you with some clues on the hardware errors encountered.

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 11:05:55 pm »
will the drives show as dropped from the array if they take too long to spin back up from sleep?

Offline wdeydwondrer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 03:52:55 pm »
Finally found the problem to be a faulty driver for my controller.  For whatever reason, windows 8.1 generic sata controller driver didn't want to play nice.  The Marvell specific drivers seem to have fixed the issue.  Haven't had a drive dropped in a few days now.

Just updating incase anyone else runs across the same problem.