Author Topic: Landing Disk Gauges  (Read 1445 times)

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
Landing Disk Gauges
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:29:59 am »
Suggestion for another nice-to-have...  8)

It would be nice to have a gauge displayed in the Storage Acceleration pane > Landing Disk Tab.
This one would show how may GB/KB of data are still in the Landing Disk and still need to be transferred (nice graphic + figures :p).

Another gauge could show how many free space there is on the disk hosting the Landing Disk...

Finally, it could be interesting to see also the mean transfer rate between the Landing Zone and the array.

Those details would help when investigating performance issues...

V.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Landing Disk Gauges
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:58:18 am »
Somewhat agreed. :)

One concern would be users getting worried when their Landing Disk fills up. A Landing Disk can fill up and things will nicely spill over into the array.
So, I don't want these gauges to be a source of worry for those that are too critical of what they see.

My preference would be for users to not even see or think of the Landing Disk. Anything that brings focus on it breaks the integration to some extent in my view.

Finally, the transfer rate between the Landing Disk and the array would not be all that useful at all since it is driven by prioritization and some other deterministic factors. In simple terms, activities on the Landing Disk throttle themselves based on various conditions.
The background mover will sleep itself between file transfers as needed and throttle the actual bytes transfer rate base if prioritization level.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:10 am »
For sure, I would not use green/orange/red colors depending on the consumed/free space... Only green.

But when the Landing Disk would appear as full, it would explain why the transfer becomes suddenly slower...

Also if the transfer speed between the Landing Disk and the array is lower than expected, it would mean that there is something wrong with the hardware/config.
I agree that this is only for advanced users who measured their raw performances and fine-tuned their RAID options (like TCQ/SWO/Concurrency Queuing/etc...).
A direct look at this speed (the only one relevant for this purpose) would indeed inform on the outcomes of the chosen RAID options.

This is a quite usual choice between a Clear/Simple UI for standard end-users and a more complete/complex one for advanced users.
As far as the target is a no-worry-no-cry product for the largest audience, KISS ;)

Maybe in the future there will be standard/pro/ultimate versions of tRaid :p

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:56 am »
Indeed. The mass freaks out when you give them more than one button to click.  :P

I took two approaches to advanced features:
- UI elements that unlock only when you enter a specific code (already implemented and in use but reserved to support staff)
- Plugins

I want to go more on the route of plugins - especially since they can be displayed in the dashboard or on separate tabs.
The API is exposed for 3rd parties to create useful plugins. The API can be augmented on request to provide even more functionality.

Offline vletroye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 03:59:45 am »
Sounds fine to me  8)