Author Topic: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9211-8i on Windows Server: HDD idle spin down?  (Read 4609 times)

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
Hi,

Not sure where to put this as I believe it may be card related.  I've been trying to get my HDDs to spin down using the built in windows spin down settings.  With the LSI card running on the latest firmware, it appears that this does nothing at all and the drives do not spin down when idle for the set time.  I've read that this is an issue with the LSI card itself but wanted to see if anyone else has spin down working fine?  If people have this card and their HDDs spin down can you please indicate which firmware you are on and any settings or other programs used.

I believe unRAID uses a Linux command run from the software itself, does t-raid have anything similar or does it rely on the windows settings?

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
SAS / HBA controller that supports Windows spin down
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »
Hi,

I've got an issue that since looking at a windows based parity system (was running unRAID) that my LSI 9211-8i does not support Windows spin down in Windows Server 2012 R2, meaning that all my drives are left spinning when not being used.  I would like them to stop after an hour of not being used (I fill a single disk at a time at present as power in NZ is expensive).  As I cannot get my LSI card to support spin down in Windows (apart from using SDParm and the STOP command) can someone recommend a new SAS controller that supports spin down in jbod mode with at least 8 ports?  Price is important if I am to move away from unRAID as I don't particularly want to pay more than the $100 I paid for the LSI card.

Any suggestions or recommendations happily received!

Chris

Offline wookie2010

• View Profile
Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9211-8i on Windows Server: HDD idle spin down?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:41:47 am »
Hi,

It is possible to use hdd spindown. First you uninstall the current LSI9211 driver in windows. Reboot the machine and enable 'disable driver signature' (pressing f8 during boot).

Then change the LSI-sas2.inf driver. Open the inf file in notepad and under [Shutdown_addreg] add;

HKR, "StorPort", "EnableIdlePowerManagement", 0x00010001, 0x01

Install the driver in windows, reboot the machine and then spindown should work.

note; i have my lsi 9211/ibm1015 in IT mode.
Server #01 Core i7 920, 24GB Memory, 6 Virtual Machines, OS HDD: 3x1TB WDC Black STORAGE: 21TB WDC GREEN -------- Server #02 Core i7 920, 24GB Memory, 6 Virtual Machines, OS HDD: 3x1TB WDC Black STORAGE: 21TB WDC GREEN