Author Topic: Out of SATA ports and in need of information regarding PCIe SATA controllers  (Read 6281 times)

Offline NEOhidra

• View Profile
Re: Out of SATA ports and in need of information regarding PCIe SATA controllers
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 03:27:55 pm »
For some reason i get no S.M.A.R.T. info from my Dell PERC H310 which works in IT mode.
In its specs its is pointed out that it does support SMART. SMART is enabled in its BIOS but no program can obtain the the SMART attributes.

If its from use here is some information for my Dell PERC H310
FW 7.15.08.00
BIOS 7.11.10

Is it possible at all Dell PERC H310 to pass SMART information?

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Out of SATA ports and in need of information regarding PCIe SATA controllers
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 03:53:17 pm »
As per http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/man/smartctl.8.html:
megaraid,N - [Linux only] the device consists of one or more SCSI/SAS disks connected to a MegaRAID controller. The non-negative integer N (in the range of 0 to 127 inclusive) denotes which disk on the controller is monitored. Use syntax such as:

smartctl -a -d megaraid,2 /dev/sda
smartctl -a -d megaraid,0 /dev/sdb
smartctl -a -d megaraid,0 /dev/bus/0
This interface will also work for Dell PERC controllers. It is possible to set RAID device name as /dev/bus/N, where N is a SCSI bus number.
The following entry in /proc/devices must exist: For PERC2/3/4 controllers: megadevN For PERC5/6 controllers: megaraid_sas_ioctlN

aacraid,H,L,ID - [Linux only] [NEW EXPERIMENTAL SMARTCTL FEATURE] the device consists of one or more SCSI/SAS disks connected to an AacRaid controller. The non-negative integers H,L,ID (Host number, Lun, ID) denote which disk on the controller is monitored. Use syntax such as:

smartctl -a -d aacraid,0,0,66 /dev/sda
smartctl -a -d aacraid,0,0,66 /dev/sdb
The L and ID numbers of a disk can be found in /proc/scsi/scsi
The following entry in /proc/devices must exist: aac. Character device nodes /dev/aacH (H=Host number) are created if required.

Basically, you will need to set the type mapping in the FlexRAID SMART UI for that controller if only Linux. It does not seem like there is support if on Windows.

Offline NEOhidra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 04:08:41 am »
... if i reflash with LSI firmware (LSI 9211-8i or 9240) will that change something?

I was thinking for a Linux based server some time ago but i cannot resolve one problem - how to control FANs speed?
On Windows i use SpeedFan which knows that fan F1 is blowing towards HDD H1, H2 and H3 and automatically speeds F1 if the temperature of H1, H2 or H3 rise above certain limit.
Is there something similar in the Linux world which can regulate fan speeds in order to keep HDDs at certain temperature?

Looks like Flexraid-F is sending every hour an email with the fallowing content:
smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [i686-w64-mingw32-win8(64)] (sf-6.1-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Probable ATA device behind a SAT layer
Try an additional '-d ata' or '-d sat' argument.smartctl 6.1 2013-03-16 r3800 [i686-w64-mingw32-win8(64)] (sf-6.1-1)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

Probable ATA device behind a SAT layer
Try an additional '-d ata' or '-d sat' argument.
Can i disable only this report email?

Offline NEOhidra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
9211-8i didnt help. Actually now HDD Guardian does detects all 8 drives and have access to the smart info. Nice but it cannot alert me.
FlexRaid detects the drives but still cannot obtain SMART info.

Offline NEOhidra

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 02:47:09 am »
I will try a few more times to find a solution but i think i will have to try some other controller.

First i would like to ask - is this problem somehow related to the SAS > SATA conversion? In other words if i try other card with SAS interface will be there any chance of getting SMART info under Windows?

I ask because i think of Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and / or Supermicro AOC-S2308L-L8E.

Will there be any difference if i switch to tRAID.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 03:12:42 am by NEOhidra »

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 07:29:58 am »
Different controllers are supported differently by different SMART tools.
Your choices are to focus on your favorite controller and then find the SMART tool that works with it or to research which controller with the SMART tool you have by default.

Offline NEOhidra

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:51 am »
I have no idea how i can guess which controller will work with FlexRaid (my favorite SMART tool is FlexRaid i count on it to notify me) without buying a new controller. In order to get an overview of all HDDs it is probably the worst choice but if the notification works - it doesnt matter.

FlexRaid cannot read SMART from my DELL controller but HDD Guardian can - both of them use smartmontools but still different functionality.

Because of that i desided to go a different route - skip the controller and try a new MB. Here are two suggestions:

Is this a safer route? Will there be a better chance to get SMART info under Windows with one of these motherboards?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 09:13:40 am by NEOhidra »