Author Topic: Why so many reboots to upgrade?  (Read 3266 times)

Offline dscline

• View Profile
Why so many reboots to upgrade?
« on: August 24, 2014, 11:25:57 am »
Updating t-raid on a system with a lot of drives is a tedious task.  First you have to turn off auto-start, then reboot.  Then you have to uninstall, then reboot.  Then you have to re-install, then reboot.  Just when you think you're done, you re-enable auto-start, start the array, then it tells you you changed something and you must reboot again.  I have around 30 drives in my server... from the time I click reboot to the time all the services are back up and I can again access via RDP is over five minutes, so it takes over 30 minutes just to update flexraid.  Can any of this be streamlined?
WHS 2011
tRAID final 23 DRUs 2PPUs
Supermicro C2SEA, Q9505s (stock), 4GB
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
IBM m1015 flashed to LSI 9211-8i/IT + HP SAS Expander
Generic SiI3132

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why so many reboots to upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:02:32 pm »
Not really.  :-\

You don't really have to reboot before uninstalling. Users are instructed to do so to avoid issues whereas they forget to stop the array before trying to uninstall.
So, if you choose not to reboot before uninstalling, you need to stop the array first.

The only required reboot is after uninstalling. Any other reboot will depend on the system.

Offline dscline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:53:53 pm »
Why does it tell me I must reboot the system due to changes I've made, when the only change was turning auto-start back on?
WHS 2011
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
Generic SiI3132

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:33:40 pm »
That's not what it says. It tells you to restart the array to have the changes applied.
It is a general message that does not track which property has changed and whether the change really requires anything.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:38:01 am by Brahim »

Offline Xander260

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:33:28 am »
Yea, with regards to the restart to apply changes notification, I thought that only applied to runtime things like I/O queues and buffering, direct I/O ect.

Most other settings, one in particular I was happy to discover was the scheduled task range, don't require a restart. I just make a judgement of "would the engine need to restart to know this changed". If not, you're good to go!

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:43:44 am »
Correct. Whether the array really needs to be restarted should be based on understanding the property that was changed (and don't change properties if you don't understand them ;)).

I have now changed the message to read:
Code: [Select]
Saved! Depending on which properties were changed, you might need to restart the array for the changes to take effect...Hopefully, this is less confusing.

Offline dscline

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:06:44 pm »
That's not what it says. It tells you to restart the array to have the changes applied.
It is a general message that does not track which property has changed and whether the change really requires anything.
If I change one of the array settings while the array is running, I get the "restart the array" message.  But that's not what I'm referring to.  If I first turn off "Auto-start" then proceed to uninstall/install as per the upgrade instructions, the first thing I do after installing the new version is go into the settings and turn auto-start back on.  I don't get the message at this point, because the array isn't yet running.  I then start it, and get a message that the system must be rebooted (not the array must be restarted).  But based on your post, this is not necessary?

You don't really have to reboot before uninstalling. Users are instructed to do so to avoid issues whereas they forget to stop the array before trying to uninstall.
And based on the above, the first reboot can be omitted.
The only required reboot is after uninstalling. Any other reboot will depend on the system.
And based on this, you also don't have to reboot after re-installing?  I can knock the four instructed reboots down to one?
WHS 2011
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
Generic SiI3132

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:21:28 pm »
All reboots are necessary!
That is, if what I posted prior isn't clear, then obey all reboot requests. Not fun, but it will avoid confusions.

I knew trying to explain the exception would confuse things further. Forget what I said, reboot as instructed.  :P

Offline dscline

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 08:50:28 pm »
That is, if what I posted prior isn't clear, then obey all reboot requests ... I knew trying to explain the exception would confuse things further.
I don't see why it has to be confusing, should be fairly simple:

• Above you stated rebooting before uninstalling wasn't necessary as long as the array is stopped first.  Seems clear.
  • You stated the reboot after uninstalling IS required.  Seems clear.
  • Further, you indicated the reboot after uninstalling is the ONLY reboot required, but add that any other reboot will depend on the system.  This isn't clear.  The wiki says "After the installation completes, you must reboot the system." (bold is from the wiki)  Can you clarify what systems don't need it?
  • I take it you are unaware that a pop-up is stating that the system must be rebooted when attempting to start the array after an install (not to be confused with a request to restart the array after changing settings).  When I try to start the array, I get the message that the system must be rebooted due to changes, and it won't start the array.  I can't imagine any reason why another reboot would be required at this point, which is why I brought it up.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just looking for some clarification.
WHS 2011
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
Generic SiI3132

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 09:14:38 pm »
Clarification == reboot as instructed.

Offline dscline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 07:30:20 am »
FWIW, this is what I'm talking about.  This particular time I was changing the Salt level.  I get the message that the array needs to be restarted, but when I try to start it again, it tries for a while, then gives me this.  It's the same behavior I get when I try to re-enable auto-start after an update:

WHS 2011
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
Generic SiI3132

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 01:08:20 pm »
1. Do your disks change number quite often between reboots?

2. You seem to have frequent block out of sync looking task history. This needs investigating as it is not normal.
Are the same block ranges coming out of sync or it is totally random?

Offline dscline

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:44:44 pm »
1. Do your disks change number quite often between reboots?
I've never noticed that happening, but I'll pay more attention.

2. You seem to have frequent block out of sync looking task history. This needs investigating as it is not normal.
Are the same block ranges coming out of sync or it is totally random?
It's not always the same blocks... I have my verify/syncs set up such that it works its way through the entire array once a week.  It seems to always fail on Sunday (which happens to be the first 1/7th of the array), but some times on other days too.  Even on Sundays, it's not always the exact same blocks, but seems to be in a fairly close range.
WHS 2011
Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
Generic SiI3132