General > News and Updates

Announcing FlexRAID Standards (TM)

(1/14) > >>

Brahim:
FlexRAID Standards™

FlexRAID Standards™ is now in beta testing: http://forum.flexraid.com/index.php/topic,5217.0.html

S_F:
How's the read and write performance when compared to a hardware RAID or a Linux software RAID solution?

What about data integrity?

Will there be a discount for those of us who purchased one of the other products?

Brahim:
On Windows, FlexRAID Standards™ blows everything out of the water as far as performance and features.

On Linux, things are on part performance wise and fairly close feature wise.
FlexRAID Standards™ is almost like LVM and MD RAID combined into one sweet easy to configure and manage package.

You can achieve many of the things FlexRAID Standards™ does on Linux by combining multiple software, but that's also where the value of FlexRAID comes in: one software that gives you everything you need without having to be a Linux guru.

Taking on Linux RAID is a tall order to say the least and is more of a happenstance rather than something I set off to do.
Nevertheless, there are a few things that FlexRAID Standards™ does better on Linux. We will discuss some of those things after the beta release.

And yes, there will be a discount for existing customers wishing to also run or switch to FlexRAID Standards™. :)

wileecoyote:

--- Quote from: Brahim on September 03, 2014, 12:10:45 am ---On Windows, FlexRAID Standards™ blows everything out of the water as far as performance and features.

--- End quote ---

Brahim, you mentioned in the first post t-raid was not included in FlexRAID Standards. So does this statement mean FlexRAID Standards will perform better than t-raid? (I'm not being a smart-ass, I really want to know...)

Brahim:

--- Quote from: wileecoyote on September 03, 2014, 07:44:24 am ---Brahim, you mentioned in the first post t-raid was not included in FlexRAID Standards. So does this statement mean FlexRAID Standards will perform better than t-raid? (I'm not being a smart-ass, I really want to know...)

--- End quote ---
That comparison was against standard RAID implementations and not against tRAID or RAID-F.

Transparent RAID has many features you won't find in FlexRAID Standards™.
For most users, I find Transparent RAID to be the better RAID system over standard RAID implementations including FlexRAID Standards™.

As standard RAID tends to stripe data for performance, yes, the performance of standard RAID will typically be better. In exchange for that performance though, you will lose a lot of flexibility such as:
- if you lose a disk beyond the tolerance level, you will lose ALL your data on the RAID
- there is no support for disks with existing data except for RAID 1
- you cannot access the data on the individual disks as the data is striped
- you lose energy efficiency as all the disks are spun during reads and writes operations
- no easy RAID Expansion or Contraction (though FlexRAID Standards™ does provide a RAID migration feature)

RAID-F and tRAID were created because there is a lot of limitations with standard RAID with the only benefit being better performance.
For the typical home user, RAID-F and tRAID provide all the performance needed with none of the limitations.
If accessing the storage from the network, RAID-F or tRAID + Landing Disk will typically saturate a Gigabit connection. So, having a particularly fast back-end storage here makes little difference.

FlexRAID Standards™ is being released because there are still good use cases for it (all of them relate to performance needs):
- Faster video editing storage
- Faster database server storage
- Faster web server storage
- Storage for high concurrency workloads
- Etc.

Outside of RAID 1 (which will be included in tRAID btw), the other RAID implementations are mostly of interest to businesses with heavy workloads or to home users that like nice performance benchmarks. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version