Author Topic: Announcing FlexRAID Standards (TM)  (Read 105112 times)

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing FlexRAID Standards (TM)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 08:20:53 am »
So where can we download the beta for Flexraid Standards?

The release is being intentionally delayed. If time permits, it might be out by Christmas. Otherwise, expect it early January.

Offline maintanosgr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 09:56:16 am »
OK thank you very much for the fast response :)

Offline facke02

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 07:12:02 am »
The release is being intentionally delayed. If time permits, it might be out by Christmas. Otherwise, expect it early January.

Hi Brahim,

Any updates on the new release?

Ken
Ken

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 10:53:42 am »
Hey Ken,

Dragging my feet on this one as I have still not made up my mind on the market positioning of this new product.  :-[
I am officially pushing its release to Spring.

Thanks for your continued patience to all those waiting on FlexRAID Standards (TM).

Offline maintanosgr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »
HI,

still no updates to this one?

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 06:50:26 pm »
Hi Brahim,

Are you able to expand on this "JBOD Spans with 1, 2, and X parity" and what that means?  As you know, I'm having difficulty with dynamic iSCSI on tRAID and this seems similar from that this one line description.  I'm sure its not and I hope you can clarify.  I basically want the ability to add any size HDD to my array with parity protected by using a disk size the same as the largest HDD in the array, that creates a pool or similar that I can use for 'general' storage including NFS and iSCSI.  What does tRAID to that FlexRAID Standards won't?

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 09:07:50 pm »
What does tRAID to that FlexRAID Standards won't?

tRAID is not actually RAID at all. Standards is Software RAID.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2015, 10:39:11 pm »

Yeah I know, but its the jbod spanning plus parity of the standards I am interested in.  I suspect it will require same sized drives but with the advantage that the drives are not compromised should a failure occur.

Offline Tolyngee

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 08:00:21 pm »

This is why I stay off the forums.  The ignorant nonsense, even coming from the most senior of posters, is just baffling.

Your post just misinforms, while not even attempting to answer the question presented.

I suspect you are confusing a striped RAID as software RAID.  A RAID can be striped, but a striped array is not exclusively synonymous with RAID.

(before you respond, I've been involved with Brahim's RAID projects years before you registered here on the forums.)

Offline Quaraxkad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 09:04:29 pm »
(before you respond, I've been involved with Brahim's RAID projects years before you registered here on the forums.)

Oh I suppose that means you must be an expert now. Why didn't you answer the question?

This product has not been released. If you can't be bothered to do your own research, wait until the product is released, or just wait for a more detailed announcement from the developer, why should I bother taking the time to speculate on the exact specifics of one very specific usage scenario that's only even a tiny fraction of the product as a whole? I'll reinstate my "ignorant nonsense", which is in fact the most specific an answer to the question as can be made at this point. tRAID and RAID-F are not RAID. FlexRAID Standards will encompass the more "true" RAID array types, while continuing to be software based. No, I am absolutely not confusing striped RAID with software RAID. I know RAID. If this is why you don't come to the forums, go ahead and stay off.

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 06:25:43 am »
This is why I stay off the forums.  The ignorant nonsense, even coming from the most senior of posters, is just baffling.
Uncalled for. Could have shared your insights without the name calling. ;)

I think Quaraxkad meant to say that tRAID is not "traditional" RAID unlike FlexRAID Standards.
Sometime we think one thing and write something else. Or sometime we try to greatly simplify an explanation and it reads as something else. It happens quite often.

Name calling and personal attacks are not okay here as they are far from being constructive.

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 02:12:36 pm »
Hi

So, the above didn't quite answer my question, but that's cool, these be forums after all.

What will Standards bring the tRAID doesn't do when running with JBOD mode?  At the moment, I'm toying with the open source version of Synology and I really like how the hybrid raid system works.  It is different to tRAID in that you can only add disks bigger or equal to the last disk added, supports iSCSI and NFS at full speed etc.  As its based on mdadm from the Linux kernel, where you looking at something similar for Windows?  Are you able to divulge anything at this stage?

Cheers,

Chris

EDIT:  I probably should expand this.  If you're developing JBOD spans in the manner that Synology do with SHR (JBOD spans with parity) then you've got me on this product as while adding any drive to a parity protected array is cool, I'd say that MDADM/SHR that synology do is a much better technology.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 12:49:26 pm by Benoire »

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 03:21:49 pm »
@brahim

Are you able to share any more titbits at all?  I'm at a conundrum whether I run to an alternative system that does JBOD spanning at a block level (commercial system hacked for custom pcs so you know which one I mean) or stay in Windows and use traid... Any thoughts around what JBOD spanning will do in Flexraid: Standards would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline Brahim

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2015, 10:28:48 am »
As an official ETA, FlexRAID Standards (TM) will be out around mid-December - just in time for Christmas.  8)

We have been very worried about the product positioning and not wanting to confuse our users with too many products. However, FlexRAID Standards is very much needed - especially on Windows. Linux users already have quality standard RAID implementations. This is not the case for Windows users who have to rely on hardware RAID for quality standard RAID implementations.

Even for Linux users, we think FlexRAID Standards has value as a fully integrated and supported solution with advanced features. We have seen too many Linux users lose their data because the tools they are using are either incomplete or require one to be a guru to make proper use of.

Expect early builds (public previews) early next month (October 2nd, 2015).

Offline Benoire

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 03:18:21 pm »
Interesting :-) I'll be keen to give it a go. I'm looking to move back to a windows platform my storage for various reasons, so I'll wait till this is ready to try!